Thursday, December 6, 2007

Tribute Quilt

photo-memory-quilt
Began and finished 2005





When I began making this quilt, I was going to donate it to my daughter's prep-school's private auction. But as the time grew nearer, the school cancelled the event. It was a tumultuous year, with a financial crisis, teachers leaving, and the final blow was that the beloved administrator was replaced. I never was quite sure of the details, but the school took a different direction after that. Less emphasis on academics and more on athletics, kind of like the public school we left.

Since I already had most of it made, and since the administrator and his family were featured in the quilt, and since there was a going away party planned for him, I decided to finish it as a tribute quilt to be given to him at the party. This picture was taken before the party; at the party, all the teachers and parents present signed and wrote messages on the quilt.

The outside blocks have photos or letters printed on fabric, and the center block is machine embroidered. The quilting is just stitch in the ditch. I say just but as a beginner, I found quilting in the ditch much harder than stitching beside a seam.  Again, I had no pattern to go by other than a collection of inspiration pictures I found online.

Linking to:
Tuesday Archives at Val's Quilting Studio

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet thing to do with your quilt after the "demise" of your school. The administrators then had a wonderful going away memory. I've given quilts away to retiring teachers and I know they've been happy to get them!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.