Friday, February 8, 2008

Great Grandmother's String Quilts

Vintage-string-quilt-great-grandma

vintage-feed-sack-string-quilt





After my great uncle died, my mother and her cousins drew numbers to divide his household items. Among them were several quilts made by my great grandmother. Before the cousins had their drawing, mom and I looked over all the quilts to see which ones she would like to choose. These were two that she didn't want, but I thought it was interesting that MSGram made so many string quilts. I wish I had taken more photos of the blocks to help me identify some of the other quilts Mom got later from her mother's estate. One thing I learned about my great grandmother is that she kept every fabric scrap until she eventually used in it a quilt. Finding some of the same fabrics in her quilts is like seeing a secret message that says MSGram made this!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.