Monday, December 11, 2017

The Return of the Ripper

It was a dark and foggy night...

Actually, it was a bright, sunny day, but that just doesn't have the same ring to it. But the dreaded ripper returned nevertheless.

What happened is I that dug out a quilting box so I could make a quick quilt for a little boy who loves the Pixar Cars movies. I found out about his birthday Friday and rushed out to buy some Cars fabric and then began work Saturday morning. It was a frustrating project in the beginning, mainly because I only found two rulers (and I don't like one of them) and I am sewing in the attic. Yes, the attic. Low light, sewing machine and iron plugged into an extension cord, and no heat. Or there wasn't heat until I brought up a space heater. THEN, I had to unplug the iron to use it. Not ideal sewing conditions, but I thought I could stand it long enough to get this quilt put together and then wait until a room was finished down below before sewing again.

By Saturday evening, I had also brought up a light bar, reworked my plan twice, and had the center four Cars blocks sewn together with a border of black and white checkerboard. But the checkerboard didn't line up at the corners and looked pretty bad. So Sunday afternoon necessitated the return of the ripper. I replaced the corners with the same red fabric I used between the four cars. After replacing the corners, I pieced on the "road" border around the center and between the side background pieces. And then I had to find Mr. Ripper again to take the red pieces off so add a white strip.



This is where the Electric Quilt software would have really come in handy. Instead of drawing a pattern on a notepad,



I could have had it to scale and with the seam measurements included. But since I forgot to add a half inch when I cut the reds, I had to improvise and add a white stripe to the side of the road.  I actually like it better this way.

Now here is where I have a problem. I hadn't intended to use that red as the background and am now short one 9x11 piece. So a trip to JoAnn's on on the schedule today. The red I had intended to use was a Cars fabric and looked fine under the fluorescent lights at the store, but looked decidedly reddish orange in natural light. Next to it is a fabric with a collage of cars. I was going to use a strip of that at top and bottom of the quilt, but now I am rethinking that also.



Now that I have the quilt center together, I think the style of the collage clashes with it. What do you think?



While at JoAnn's, I think I'll look for some other fabrics to complete the end borders. I have enough scraps from all the fabric I've used so far to piece in something too. Or I could make a strip and applique his name on it.  Or I could find something else that fits the bill.  A trip to the fabric store is always an adventure.

Linking up to:
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Main Crush Monday at Cooking up Quilts

8 comments:

  1. So cute. What a great job you did.

    Have a fabulous day and week. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. they don't work. I would probably piece what you need. Then your reds will work and the blue will show up again. How many times has my quilt idea turned out like your? Too many!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe a black and white border would work? It's great tho... I'm sure that he'll love it. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan, I was thinking black and white too, and found some other bright colors to make some blocks at top and bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always appreciate home-made quilts for the love and time that goes into creating them. I am sure he will love it either way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think he will enjoy it, and being young, will never notice if the colors or patterns clash.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marti: I am impressed that you were so determined to get that sweet quilt done, I would not have been able to handle the low lite and the cold, you my dear friend are a trooper.
    I bet that little guy will have a ball with that quilt.
    I hate the ripper, my arch enemy is he.

    Blessings
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very bright, bold and fun! You could go with the collage fabric, he will not care. But if it bugs you, then get something different. Hopefully the next time you want to sew you'll have a nice space to set up in.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.