Sunday, May 30, 2021

Sewing Reports Week 22

It's been awhile. I've all but quit sewing; it's my eyes but not what you probably think. My eyes aren't focusing as well in the last couple of months and my sweet spot of vision has gone from 10-12 inches down to 4-6 inches. Getting that close to the sewing machine needle has been really hard on my back and I am only able to sit at the machine for a few minutes before it starts hurting. I was hoping to get my quilted tops completely finished before my next eye surgery, but I don't think that is going to happen. I can still read, and have been spending more time reading lately to take my mind off my decreasing vision.

While I should be working on UFO quilts, I decided to go off target and make something else instead.  What stitching I have been doing in the last month has been on a little project that I can work on for a few minutes at a time until my back needs a rest. They are pen holders for journals or reading books. I thought of the idea last month when I finally reached my limit with the inconvenience of hooking my pen into the spiral binding of my book journal and then either losing it or not being able to open the journal without removing it, and then I lay it down and leave it somewhere. I googled and sure enough, it was not a unique idea, but none of the ones I found were quite what I had in mind, so I designed my own. Cheap, easy to make, and no velcro or buckles that add bulk, plus it fits onto any size reading book from little paperbacks to large hardbacks. I'm making these for members of my book club so I have plenty of time to finish them before December even working at snail speed.



Because of my very slow pace and frequent breaks, my sewing reports are not impressive. But that's just what it is right now. I also had to buy some fat quarters this week in bright colors to go with the bright bands. Those only came in five colors and they are not my usual choice of colors so I had very little to choose from. I also had to buy some fusible interfacing. That purchase didn't help my stash report, but happily I've already made a dent in it. For the most part, I was able to use scraps from my stash.

I'm joining the usual Sunday groups here. It will be fun to see what everyone else has been doing while I've been lazy the past few weeks.


10 comments:

  1. Oh Marti, I am so sorry to hear of your issues. I will add you to my prayer list! Cute book buddies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And I like that term, book buddies. I think I'll rename mine.

      Delete
  2. So sorry that you are having issues. Hopefully your surgery is scheduled soon. Cute pen holders. I especially like the spot for flags or post it notes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having eye problems will certainly make it difficult to sew and quilt. Hope your eye surgery will help. Great little pen holders for your book people. Such a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pen holders are so cute! So sorry to hear you are having trouble with your eyes... that's no fun at all.. hope you get surgery soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea with the pen holders. I so sorry that you are having sight issues. I'm sure you miss doing your "normal!" I am heartened that you continue to persevere and any progress made is TERRIFIC!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SEW useful!! Those will make great gifts for the members of your book club.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SUCH a smart idea!! I totally get what you mean about the pen in the coiled spiral issues!! I may just have to make one of these. Good luck with your upcoming eye surgery. I’ve had some eye issues in the past, not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear that your vision has taken another turn for the worse. Your pen holders are really cute and very functional.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry to hear about your vision problems and am praying right now that your surgery will fix the issue! I just noticed that your book buddies have a third pocket for post-its! A girl after my heart! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete