Sunday, February 12, 2023

Week 6 Sewing Linkups



To-Do Tuesday

I decided to change my To-Do List from Tuesday to Sunday in the hope that it will calm my inner OCD and encourage my motivation to start at the beginning of my week instead of near the middle. So I may already be ahead or behind my weekly goals by the time I join the linkup.

Last Week:

1. Carry sewing machine and supplies upstairs. That wasn't a tough one.

2. Make one blue string block. I made a block, but didn't really like it. I used it on the pot holder and really didn't like it after quilting it, so tossed the whole thing.

3. Make one Crowning Glory block. 
I made three.

4. Make blue string block pot holder. 
Like I said above, made, but tossed it.

❌ 5. Cut remaining blue scraps into usable pieces.
I want to try another blue string block so I need to wait before cutting too much.

❌ 6. Sort green scraps into strips and squares.
Nope, just didn't do it.

❌ 7. Find stash of finished hexagons.

8. Put away Christmas decorations.

9. Rearrange sewing space and see if there is room for a bigger sewing table.

8. Reorganize my UFO boxes.

♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥ 

This week, I want to concentrate on the inner border for Glory Be. I just hope I have enough of the blue to make all the triangles. I haven't picked a fabric for the next border and those triangles either, so maybe I will have some fabric usage to show next week. I'd also like to spend some time working on my room.

1. Cut twenty-one yellow triangles and twenty-one blue triangles or rip out from spare blocks.

2. Choose blue, or maybe white fabric for outer border and inner triangles.>

3. Repair wall behind cutting table.

4. See if light fixture can be converted from plug in to wired in.

5. Set up embroidery machine table.

6. Cut remaining blue scraps into usable pieces.
I want to try another blue string block so I need to wait before cutting too much.

7. Sort green scraps into strips and squares.

8. Find stash of finished hexagons.

9. Put away Christmas decorations.

10. Rearrange sewing space and see if there is room for a bigger sewing table.

11. Reorganize my UFO boxes.

.
Design Wall Monday


Last week, I focused on Glory Be. I made all the missing blocks, replaced yellow triangle corners on the old blocks, and sewed everything into the middle flimsey.


This was my original plan for it.


But somehow, between the last time I worked on it and last week, most of the white 5-1/2 inch pieces disappeared. And this is the reason I will never start another quilt and leave it a UFO. No notes on what I had been doing, and now missing pieces. For about three seconds, I considered making the rest of the Crowning Glory blocks out of similar colors, but I don't have a use for a full size quilt, and I can always use throws and they make great gifts. So now it will be a throw size. Hubby asked me the other day how I decide what size to make a quilt. I told him that it depends on who the recipient is. If I'm not making it for anyone in particular, I make a throw because that is what we use most. How do you decide what size quilt you are going to make?

I still haven't put up the new lights over my design wall and cutting table, so my pictures are still pretty disappointing. But I learned something this week about taking pictures with my phone. When taking a picture without bright light, you can touch the screen and a box appears under your finger. Beside that box is a brightness icon (a sun) and you can slide it up or down to improve your pictures. I have taken pictures in bright light that looked completely washed out and pictures taken inside at night that look like they were taken without any lights on at all. You may already know that, but if you didn't, try it next time you take a picture in a dark place.

.
Sunday Stash


My Sunday Stash busting still shows no progress because everything I made this week was out of scraps, and that fabric has already been counted. Next week probably won't be any better if I continue with this UFO. Today, I start making the first border; I hope I have enough blue fabric for it since it wasn't part of my original plan when I cut the fabric.

2023 STASH TOTALS
Used Feb 5-11                            0 yards
Used year to date                   6.50 yards
Added Feb 5-11                           0 yards
Added year to date                       0 yards
Net used in 2023 6.50 yards

.
Stitching Stuff


I finally had a productive week. Not only did I sew every day this week, but I made some good progress on Glory Be.  My overall success rate is not as high as I need it to be to maintain 50% for the year, because I will surely have 6-8 weeks of no sewing during the summer.

15 Minute Challenge for 2023:
Feb 5-11                        7 of 7 days
2023 Total                  27 of 42 days
64% success rate

7 comments:

  1. The blue and yellow work so well together! Good luck with your border plans, you are moving along well. Unless I know I'm making a quilt for someone's bed, I keep my quilts to throw size. Those make good gifts and as you say, that's the size we use the most. Thank you for the tip on exposure on your phone. I don't have the same icons, but I did find that function on my phone camera too. Getting better photos on my phone is one of my photography goals this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good decision on the UFO. I decide like you do, most of the time. I like that your goals for the week are mixed between cutting, sewing and repairing. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blue and yellow are such a classic combination and always look good together! I also make throw size quilts if unsure of the recipient. I just started making baby quilts 55 x 72...I figure that the baby can grow into it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Size of quilts is interesting, I generally make throw size because I quilt them myself and have a sit down but not a machine on a frame. I did quilt a queen but hard work. I give away most of my quilts too so throw is a good size to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made the correct decision. Blue and Yellow is a beautiful combo and your throw quilt will be pretty. Good luck with your goals for this week, have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like the blue yellow combo. You made good progress with your list even if something did wind up in the garbage! Good luck this week. Hope you have lots of fun sewing. Thank you for linking with To Do Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even though it doesn't add to your usage numbers, it always feels good to reduce the scrap pile. If a quilt doesn't have a size requirement, I let it tell me when it's done. If I keep it, I decide on the use (runner, throw, wall, etc) but don't much worry about the size, as long as it can be used as intended.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.