Saturday, November 14, 2009

Dust Ruffle Finished



When I told Hubby I was going to make a dust ruffle for the bed, he grimaced and said he didn't like dust ruffles because they made the bed so hard to make. Puh-lease, like he ever makes the bed. But I told him not to worry his pretty little head about it, because I had already thought of that. When I had it pinned this afternoon, he saw it and commented on the "scrunchie part". I told him the word he was looking for was ruffle, and technically this was a gathered skirt rather than a ruffle. Hubby doesn't like ruffles. (Or pink.) Early in our marriage when I was less temperate than I am now, I bought a set of pink striped sheets with a lace ruffle on the top edge. (This was after an argument.) I regretted it later, but didn't have the funds to buy anything else for a long time. But after that, Hubby was a lot more tolerant of ruffles, and eventually, I just became more tolerant.

When I started this project, he asked if I had a pattern, to which I quoted Gold Hat: "Pattern? I don't need no stinkin' pattern." After I had ripped out stitches for the umpteenth time where the platform sheet got caught in the seam, I was thinking I should have had my stinkin' head examined though. But finally, I got 'er done. Instead of going between the mattress and boxsprings, the platform fabric goes on top of the mattress - on top of the blankets. No need to tuck the blankets between the box springs to keep them out of sight, they can hang down, as well as the sheets. We'll just fold back the dust ruffle with the comforter every night.


Shown over the dust ruffle is an old quilt turned over with the cream backing showing to give an idea what it will look like with a quilt. Eventually I'll get that quick quilt made. However, next on the to do list are the tablecloths for our bedside tables.


Until next time, may you have blessings and smooth sewing,
Marti

p.s. I used a king size flat sheet to make the platform, with darts in the two corners to make it fit close to the mattress. The "ruffle" is a green and red plaid homespun.

p.s.2   I thought I'd add a photo of the finished master bedroom too - long after this post was made

7 comments:

  1. Hi, Marti, thanks for coming by! And I see your lampshade dilemma below. Honestly I like the original shade the very best on your lamp. You could recover it with a fabric if you don't like the way it looks now. I've also covered shades in burlap which is another good look.

    Hope you'll come back to see me again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job with the dust ruffle/bed skirt. I can just imagine you having to "gather" all that and get the "gathers' even. You did a fine job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Making ruffles isn't my favorite thing and I usually wish I had an attachment that did it for me instead of having to pull threads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How clever! I would have never thought of doing a dust ruffle that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good idea! I hate wrestling with the dust ruffle to wash it. Could you put the fitted sheet over the dust ruffle so you don't have to turn it back with the comforter?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops, that was me.
    Sandy in MI

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sandy,
    You probably could do that, I just don't know how well a fitted sheet would stay on without gripping under the mattress. You'd still have to tuck the top sheet & blanket between the mattresses every day, and that's the part we hate doing. Or you could just leave the platform sheet on the bed and not fold it back every night. Might be heavy though and would get dirty faster.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.