Tuesday, February 12, 2013

15 Minute Challenge

It's been a long time since I've done any sewing. So long, in fact, that I couldn't find my long ruler, my favorite rotary cutter, or my quarter inch foot. It's also the first time I've really used my new (a year old now) sewing machine. I bought it because the sewing center said my old one would cost more to repair than to buy a new comparable machine. And I thought I would either get another machine with a few perks for home use and keep this for a travel machine. But that never happened. With my old machine, I could have compensated for not having a quarter inch foot by moving the needle. This machine doesn't have that feature.

But I managed to locate a twelve inch ruler, my cutting mat, and some fabric, and set up a sewing center at the end of the dining room. Funny that Kate's challenge this week included asking us to show our sewing space. I'm working on creating a space in a guest room, but for now, this is it.



This bedroom is where I used to have my sewing space, and will again soon. But the new sewing space has to be more versatile than it was before. With a sewing desk in the room, it was impossible to pull out the trundle bed without moving the desk out of the room. Not only was the desk heavy, but there was no where else to put it. So I am working on sewing table and cutting table that are mobile and easy to store when the room needs to be a bedroom. Until then, I'm in the dining room.





So getting back to the challenge, this is what I got done this week.



I don't have much to show for my time. Much of my time was spent working on a color combination I like. I have several orphan blocks to show for my time, one finished block, and a few stacks of pieces. I tried using just three fabrics for a simple look, but didn't have enough, so it will have more of a patchwork look to it.
Trial block
Final block


Join us at Kate's Life in Pieces.

You know you want to!

2 comments:

  1. a week of sewing every day is always good. Hope you can get back to your sewing room soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the dining room looks great! And it's good to see you back playing with fabric. The blue and yellow block looks great! Is the whole quilt going to be blue and yellow or are you going scrappy?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.