Tuesday, April 2, 2013

15 Minute Challenge and A Dress Makeover

I was going to take mom's Pfaff to the shop last Tuesday, but I couldn't get it out of the cabinet by myself. Hubby helped me with that Tuesday night so I could take it Wednesday. The next morning I got up, got dressed, and started to head out. That's when I noticed that there was no power cord. It wasn't connected to the foot feed the way my other machines have been. I spent most of that day looking and finally gave up. It's probably packed in one of our pre-remodel boxes. So instead, I decided to do some regular sewing with the little Janome to see if it would do what Lil needs.

She wants to make some curtains and I'm sure it will be able to do that, but she also wants to learn to sew clothing, and I wasn't sure it could go over those seams. I have been wanting an apron with ties long enough to wrap around front and hang a towel over them. When I'm cooking, I swear I wash my hands every five minutes. Chef's on tv just wipe their hands on a towel, so I thought I could do that too. Except after eggs or raw meat. Ewww.



While searching for fabric, I opened my scrap denim box and found this old dress that no longer fit, and thought I could make it into an apron. Sorry, it seemed silly to iron it since I was going to be washing it after I clipped the edges.



And here's how it turned out after cutting out the back, putting a few tucked rows across the bottom, clipping them, and adding a new neck back, ties, and ruffle out of a floral fabric.



I'm a little concerned that it might be too warm, but I can hang a towel on it, and it will protect my shirt from splatters.



So here is my official chart showing how little sewing I actually got done.



Join us at Kate's Life in Pieces to see how others met the 15 minute challenge and join in too.

Also this week, I've decided to start posting my stash buster report in hopes it will keep me working on the stash.



Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. What a clever way to make any apron. I may have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It would probably be easy for an experienced seamstress, but I don't sew clothing well, and it was difficult for me to cut the neck piece (it's just a semi-circle) so it put the front darts in the right place. I'll probably cut it back a little more too if it's not comfortable.

      Delete
  2. What a clever way to re-use/re-purpose! Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a really cute apron!! Well done :^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I had that same little denim jumper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your re-purposed dress. It makes a very stylish apron.

    Great week on the stitching front too.

    Wow you even have a listing of your stash. Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.