Thursday, March 28, 2013

Quilter's, Brainstorm with Me Please

Several of you have asked why I don't like the Little Glory quilt, and I confessed that one reason is because I cheaped out and used some polyester fabric in it. The medium blue (center and corner blocks) are not only polyester, but they have a thin blue stripe as well. The polyester doesn't flatten with the iron, it ravels more, and it has a different sheen than the cotton. That is probably why most quilters don't use it. I don't know where I got it, but I had three yards of it, so thought I'd use it. So that's one reason I'm not crazy about this quilt.

Then, there's the way it fits the bed. This is the way I planned it to fit the bed, but now that I've seen it on the bed, I don't like the way the blocks hang off.



Ignore the stuff on the tables, this is a room in progress.

The only thing I can think of, besides just living with it, is turning it sideways and making a king out of it. But to do that, I have to introduce even more blues because I am out of all the blue used in the blocks, and I don't really want to use any more polyester. And I really hate to keep working on a quilt that I am never going to love. Can you see any other options, especially any that keep this a twin size?

Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. Why not change the middle section by adding a medallion (a larger version of the blocks on the side) or four additional blocks (on point). That will give you width without changing the length too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would look better, but I don't think I can pick apart that much of the quilt. My little Janome had a terrible time going over the humps where seams crossed and got stuck several times. I think I'd end up making a hole in the fabric if I tried to pick those. But I do appreciate your idea and wonder if I could applique on those areas instead.

      Delete
  2. Applique might be the best bet. Maybe some big yellow flowers in the center?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try that out. I still have some yellow fabric.

      Delete
  3. I like the way the blocks hang. It gives the top a little sparkle at the edges that the eye then follows. Sorry the poly blend was a little disappointing. I think we all live and learn and move on. The colors are really pretty though. I've always love blue and yellow together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is definitely a live and learn quilt. I know people who use polyester in their quilts and have never said it was a problem. May have been a different blend though.

      Delete
  4. I like the way it lies also!!! It's a beautiful quilt. I would probably do a diagonal quilting in the center with a heavier wt yellow. You'd end up with yellow diamonds that would correspond with the diamonds/ squares in the outer blocks. :-). Have a happy Easter!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea! I'll have to wait for a different machine before I can quilt though.

      Delete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.