Tuesday, April 30, 2013

It's Been One of Those Days and a NewFO

Let me backtrack to yesterday. I wrote my blog post and scheduled it to post at 7am because I had a doctor appointment this morning and knew I wouldn't be able to do it before I left. I needed the Geek Squad to look at my computer and see why the security program wouldn't let my printer print and then I was going to come home and update the link to Kate's blog. But it didn't work out that way. The Geek Squad wanted to keep my computer, remove the offending Kaspersky, and clear my computer before loading a new security program. That took 5 hours. Then I had to reload MS Office, reconnect to the internet router, and then load a new security program because they didn't do it after all. Another hour. Then Hubby brought home a new storm door for the back door that keeps leaking when it rains even though we've replaced it and all the weatherstripping twice. It didn't take me very long to do my part helping him with the door; it was cleaning up after burning the chicken I had left on the stove that took a long time. In fact, the house still stinks and I've had all the fans and windows open for three hours.

I've cut out soda, and had cut out sweets starting this week, but this was a night that called for chocolate.

My biggest project for April has been trying to organize my stash.  I'm still working on my sewing room, aka guest room, but having my fabrics scattered throughout the house makes every sewing project so much harder that it is really number one.  While organizing my stash, I found I have too much scrap denim.  So much that the box wouldn't shut.  So last month I made the denim apron, and a few days ago started this quilt project by making the templates and then cut about fifty circles (with regular scissors) until my hand started cramping and my thumb went numb. Oops, I think I need to pace myself. I've still got a lot of jeans to cut but it's a nice, mindless project to do while watching tv. The squares should go quickly; the hardest part will be deciding which fabrics to use.  Right now, it's a UFO, or NewFO as Barbara of Cat Patches calls them. So I'm linking this NewFO to her blog. Maybe that will encourage me to keep going on it.



This is the only project I've started in April, other than the shower curtain, which wasn't much of a project.  I looked back on my April goals, and saw that I had planned to make another apron.  That didn't get done, and I don't think it will get done in May either.  Besides the garden which is breeding weeds like mosquitoes in an old tire, I get to spend some time in St. Louis with my daughter.  I will be sewing curtains for her, so I guess that will be my sewing goal for May.

What projects did you start in April?

Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. I have that exact denim quilt that my mother made over 30 years ago. I love it, especially the back where the stitching lines create a pattern and the different shades of denim can be seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw your photo and thought, yum, what's that?? Love the denim circles quilt and bookmarked it for future, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure they are going to have to pry my laptop out of my fingers very soon. I have tried all the scans and "fixes" I have access to, and I still have annoying pop-ups coming all the time. I am ready to go into the loading of the DOS commands to find the offending program even though this scares the liver out of me. I have done some serious damage in the past (to my school issued computer!). I hope it is only five hours I am without mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh good idea for that denim. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have lots of denim scraps (aka kids' old jeans :) laying around here too! I haven't decided yet how I would use it but I can't throw away them either :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only thing I seem to use my scrap denim on is mending my son and daughter in laws jeans!!! I have a stack next to the sewing machine waiting for me now!!! Looking forward to seeing your quilt with the denim circles. You've got my curiosity up!!! Have a lovely weekend! Martha

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun project! Great use for denim. You may think it's not much of a project, but it's still a project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to seeing what you are going to do with the denim circles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Marti, I know what you mean about too much fabric. My craft room is so completely overrun with fabrics. They seem to be a weakness of mine, one of many. So many of them are ones I bought to make the kids clothes when they were little. I don't really even know what to do with them now. Let me know what you come up with for getting rid of some of your stash! Oh, and sorry to hear about more computer problems! Happy Mother's Day!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.