Tuesday, June 14, 2011

15 Minute Challenge, June 14th

Since it's unbelievably hot for the beginning of June, the weeds are also struggling to live, and that has made my morning gardening easier. Sure, I still have to drag the water hose all over the yard watering this spring's new plantings which are also struggling to live. My goal was to be out in the garden by 7 a.m. and in by 9 a.m. but I manage to putter around, pulling weeds here and there, moving rocks, setting pavestone, and I'm usually not in until at least 11 a.m. Still, I'm not as tired as I was and I've been able to get some sewing done in the afternoon and weekend.

So here is what I got done when I pushed myself to spend at least 15 minutes a day on my sewing.

Tuesday - Trimmed down white borders
Wednesday - Put on green side borders
Thursday - Finished green borders, top is done
Friday - Made back for the green & yellow quilt
Saturday - Trimmed HST blocks, cut strips for bow tie
Sunday - Sewed HST blocks & bow tie blocks
Monday - Trimmed HST blocks, washed new fabric

Hop on over to Kate's blog, Life in Pieces, to see how others are challenged to spend their 15 minutes a day.
We have almost all the onions in, and have gathered bush beans, squash, zucchini, cucumbers, peppers, and a few tomatoes. We battled squash bugs, and then the evil squash vine borer got one of my zucchini plants, and I gave up trying to grow squash organically and bought some Sevin spray just for them. The remaining squash plants are thriving, and the rest of the garden is still organic. I just hope the squash bugs don't move over to one of the organics next. If anyone knows how to grow squash organically, let me know. I do know now that radishes do not bother squash bugs in the slightest, even though they were recommended in my companion gardening book. I planted a circle of them around each squash plant, and still the squash bugs invaded. Hubby did surgery on a couple of the squash with borers and dug out the worms, but they kept coming. In years past we have drenched the soil with beneficial nematodes, but it's already too hot this year for that.

6 comments:

  1. Smile, we are just putting in the rest of our plants this week for our little square foot garden. It has been cold and stormy so we are a bit late, however, I think we will be ok. I can't believe your are harvesting some veggies!! I am hoping for a better growing season. Keep cool.

    I have been doing a 15 min challenge on my own and had no idea that there are bloggers doing the same. I will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! You made it 7 for 7!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your beans look great! Seems a bit early for them? Love that back on your design wall monday quilt. That's a lot of work to put a piano key border on a backing. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on making progress 7 out of 7 days. Looks like a very productive week.

    Sorry I'm no help in the garden, my thumbs are black!

    Thanks for linking up this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just want to say that four hours you spend in the garden on one day is my quota for the year.

    7 days out of 7 ..am I the ONLY person this week that didnt achieve sewing brilliance. I feel like the class dunce! Congratulations on all your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I maybe spend that much time in my garden all year. Maybe that is why it looks so wild and crazy!

    And I like the idea of working on something for just 15 minutes every day. I bet you can get so much done without it feeling overwhelmed. Seems like it worked for you!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.