Monday, June 13, 2011

Design Floor Monday and Stash Buster Report










I have a lot to show, but there isn't actually that much on my design floor today. I made a pieced back to go with the Gairden Walk Quilt. I had to put the pieced piano key border on it because I didn't have enough of the floral fabric to do the entire back. I also ran out of the white and green fabrics used to make the piano key border.  I'm setting this aside for now until I can find more fabric.

I've made some progress on the Depression Block, but trimming the HST blocks is both tedious and hard on my back, so I do a few and then work on something else. I'm not sure I even like this quilt either now. From a distance, the design shows up, but any closer than six feet from it and it just looks like a bunch of scraps sewed with no particular pattern.



And then I started a new quilt, also a scrappy one, but one that uses larger pieces and can be strip cut and pieced to some degree, so it is a lot easier to make. It's from the Quick and Easy Scrap Quiltsbook from Leisure Arts.

I'm also going to put my stash buster report in this post. My girls aren't terribly interested in design walls and stash reports and I haven't had the energy or motivation to write about what is going on with our lives right now. So for them, I'll combine these two topics so they can skip over it easier.

It feels like I've used more fabric than the numbers show. I've cut a lot more fabric into squares for the bow tie than I've actually made, but I'm counting that since it is cut and waiting. Also, I bought some fabric so I can make a project tote bag, so that wiped out most of my progress.


Marti

10 comments:

  1. I like your top quilt -- sashed Irish chain? maybe. How did you figure out how much fabric you already have? I'd be afraid to know that number! But I do keep track of ins and outs. Mostly ins this year. I'm hoping to do better on the outs for the last half of the year. I don't count fabric out until a quit is finished to the binding stage. (so, no labels required although I should do that!) I basically break even most years... sigh so you are doing really well from my point of view. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All your projects are lovely. I especially like the depression block, one of my favorite patterns and yours is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, it is a lot like an Irish chain. I got the pattern from a magazine and didn't even keep the whole page from it, so I don't know what they called it. Theirs was MUCH prettier, mainly because of the bolder colors they used.

    I didn't know how much fabric I had either. I used to have it in a bookshelf, but when we redid the room so it is just a bedroom, I took the shelves out and boxed up all my fabric, thinking it would just be for a month or so until I designated another sewing area. And that just didn't happen for over a year, and during that year I just bought more fabric rather than dig into boxes. When I got the boxes down, I thought it was a lot, but guessed it was around 50 yards. Someone told me they bet it was a lot more than that, so I started measuring - and she was right. I've measured about half so far, I think.

    I count fabric as used the minute I cut it up. Whatever I don't use will go into scrap bags, and I still have to figure out how to count that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sue. I hope I like it more when it's finally finished. It looks better to me in the photos than in person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The keyboard border looks really neat on the back of the baby quilt. I like both of your scrappy projects. Looks like you've been really busy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of good stuff here! I like the pieced back with the piano key border, the Depression blocks, and the bow ties. Plenty to keep you interested, it looks like!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything looks great. On that top quilt check the second row and third column. I think your four patches are turned.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good eye! I soooo do not want to rip that out. But, now that I know it's there, I probably won't be able to look at it without focusing on that block. Decisions, decisions.

    Marti

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all the quilts, but most especially your depression block quilt, it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The quilts are great! I have a hard time being satisfied with scrappy because it feels to random while doing it but the end results are spectacular!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.