Monday, June 20, 2011

15 Minute Challenge, June 21

First a big happy birthday to Brownie. Love ya little girl. Mind you, she's creeping up on thirty, but she's still my little girl.

Even though I didn't manage to get in 15 minutes some days this week, I think I at least did something quilt related each day. I didn't keep track though and really can't remember.

Last Wednesday, I flipped on the tv when I woke up and the weatherman said the wind we had been having (for weeks on end it seems) was going to let up that day but come back for the next six days. I was so happy because I had things to do in the garden that needed a day without wind, but when I opened the back door, the wind was blowing as usual, ten to fifteen miles per hour. I thought the weatherman really missed it - until Thursday when the wind was howling. It didn't let up at night either, and wind continued to howl through the weekend, gusting up to forty-five miles per hour. Working outside was miserable, so I did the minimum amount of watering and weeding, and on Friday mowed just enough to clip off the top of the tall weeds.

I spent all day Saturday and most of Sunday working on the Baby Bow Tie Quilt, and was making great progress until I picked up the remainder of the muslin to cut my inner border, and the last strip was a quarter of an inch shy of the 1-3/4 inch width needed. If I hadn't cut a strip for some practice blocks, I would have had enough. Argh! So off to the quilt store today in hopes they still carried the same muslin. They did. Whew! I'm not sure what I would have done if they didn't have it.

So here is my report as best I can remember.

Tuesday - Cut strips for bow tie blocks
Wednesday - Nothing
Thursday - Trimmed some HST's
Friday - Nothing
Saturday - Sewed bow tie blocks
Sunday - Sewed bow tie block together, cut 3 borders, and outer border strips
Monday - bought fabric

On the design floor is the Baby Bow Tie Quilt


After seeing the movie The Bucket List a few years ago, I thought of the few things I really wanted to get done before I kicked the bucket, and one of them was to make a baby quilt for each of my girls and for Hubby's niece and nephew and have them finished, boxed, and ready to gift so Hubby just had to get them out of the closet and give it to them. I got one made. So when I finished the top and backing for the Green and Yellow Baby Quilt last week, I decided to get in gear and get those four quilts done. This is number three. Brownie had picked out a specific pattern several years ago, so hers won't be made out of scraps.

I also bought quite a bit of fabric this week. Although most of it isn't for quilting, I still added it to the stash report and that hurt the bottom line. I want to learn to sew clothing for myself and bought some cheap fabric so I can practice on a couple of patterns before using good fabric. Over the next few weeks, I hope to have that fabric out of the stash, but for now, here are my new and not improved numbers.

Hope you all have a good week. Check out Kate's 15 Minute Challenge linky party at
Life in Pieces to see how others have taken up the challenge.

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. I say any day sewing related is a good day! Congrats on as many days as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the bow tie quilt. Those colours just sing!

    Dont you just hate it when you dont have enough fabric by just and inch or two.(Happened to me recently! )

    I think you've had a great week and it sounds like you're going to be very busy with all your other plans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Five out of seven days is a pretty good sewing week. Love the baby quilt. The colors are so soft. That bow tie pattern is on my to do list. Not sure when I'll get to it. Hopefully before I need to make one for my own grandchild!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.