Monday, February 28, 2011

Design Wall (Floor) Monday February 28, 2011


I've still got the old flower basket quilt on my floor. It's basted and I've started tying it in places. It is quilted with such a thick thread that I decided to use embroidery floss to tie it. I found a color that matches, but it looks a little too new so I aged with a little tea.

Also on the floor is the beginning of a Depression Block Quilt. I've been cutting triangles every time I have a small bit of fabric and I've finally got them all cut. 544 dark triangles in various colors, and 544 light triangles in various colors. I've got 84 triangles put together into squares. Only 1004 to go.
I had a question (after I finished all the blocks) asking what size I made these blocks. I started with 4-1/4 inch squares and made the quick 1/2 square blocks.

But after I made a few, I noticed there was too much of a color pattern, so I just started cutting the fabric into triangles that were 4-1/4 inch on the short sides. Then I could mix the colors better and avoid having the same colors touching. I wish I had made the original triangles 4-1/2 inch though. By the time I finished the blocks, some of the fabrics had frayed some and in some there was no way to cut off the frayed edge when I squared the block.

Blessings,
Marti

12 comments:

  1. Your depression block quilt is going to be beautiful.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Depression Block is anything but depressing! Love all the scrappy goodness. Congrats on getting the old basket blocks to tying stage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe the quilt will be beautiful. I wish I could/would quilt. I could use some of my stash instead of the little applique that I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is a lot of triangle to cut and piece! Beautiful colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this block! I'm just finishing a 16 patch scrap quilt and always like to have a scrappy one going. Maybe this will be my next one! Thanks for the inspiration! Toni

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love this block too and will look great!! I need to make this block and I have some triangluation papers that would work too.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you sure have a lot of triangles going! Looking at the block, your depression quilt will be stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm getting depressed thinking of all the work you are getting yourself in for. Just kidding, it's going to be BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is amazing how fabulous the lowly HSTs can look!
    glen

    ReplyDelete
  10. HST are the greatest. Good luck finishing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Only 1004 to go -- lol! And it is going to be gorgeous! I just love scrappy quilts! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a lot of triangles !! But, the quilt will be gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.