Thursday, January 29, 2015

Disappearing Quilt Blocks, Have You Made Them?

You've probably heard of the Disappearing Nine Patch, and Stack and Whack, but have you heard of the Disappearing Hourglass or any of the others at Missouri Star Quilt Company? This isn't a review or endorsement of Missouri Star Quilt Company by the way. Monday night at Quilt Guild, we had member led demonstrations of several different quilts that could be made quickly and easily by making one block and then either putting it into a quilt top before cutting it up, or just cutting the completed blocks. These were so neat!

After my demonstration of quilt as you go techniques today at Quilt Group, I wonder if any of these disappearing blocks could be done as a quilt as you go. It would be such a good way to make some quick quilts when we need to give out more quilts than we have made. That happens in winter when so many of our elderly end up in the hospital or nursing home. And the great thing about these quilts is that they look like they are really complicated when really, they are so easy.

Oh, and I have another quilting question for you. What rotary blades and cutter do you prefer? I have mainly used Olfa and Fiskar blades and never really paid attention to how long they each last. But I changed the blades before I started cutting the butterflies and quilt as you go samples, using a new Fiskars blade. It was getting dull after two days of cutting, but I kept it in for another three days of less intense cutting, but using a lot more pressure on it. After the third day, I found it wasn't cutting through in places and I had to either go back and hit those places again, or cut with scissors. I don't have a new Olfa blade to try right now, but I just bought a Gingher blade that the LQS owner assured me would outlast every other blade. I hope so, one blade was $13. Oh, and I'm also giving up on Fiskars rotary cutters. The screw won't stay tight. I like the Olfa with the automatic blade retraction handle.

10 comments:

  1. Yes, I've made a DNP quilt, but I haven't tried the DHG block. It makes a gorgeous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never even made the DNP, although it's on my quilt bucket list. If I had known it went together that fast, I might have made time though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made disappearing 9-patch and disappearing 4-patch. Saw the disappearing hour glass once, but forgot details so haven't tried it.
    I use a Martinelli Ergonomic rotary cutter--have for over five years. And I use their blades. I'd be willing to try Gingher blades since I like their scissors so much. So keep us posted on whether it lasts as long as it costs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to go look up that cutter. That may be the one the LQS owner showed me when I bought the blade. But she had trouble demonstrating it, so I just bought a blade. Do you find that it is easier on your wrist?

    I'll try to remember to report back on the Gingher blade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not comfortable using a rotary cutter, and you bring up a good question. My blades seem to go dull almost immediately. I don't do much cutting - perhaps two or three long cuts (perhaps 24 inches), and the blade is dull. I end up using the cut by the rotary as a "dotted line" for cutting with scissors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am slowley making one , maybe a block a month , It's for me if i every get threw with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mine last a little longer than that, but still not long enough. I know I press too hard when they are new and still sharp because I've been so used to pressing hard when they get dull. I saw a review of a rotary blade sharpener on another blog and I may try that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I helped a neighbor cut out the Disappearing Pinwheel today. If I make a Disappearing Hourglass, it will be for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Making a disappearing 9 patch is on my to do list, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

    I've only used the Olfa cutters. I'm contemplating buying one of those blade sharpeners. With the expense of new blades, it would probably pay for itself within a year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bet it would too, and I've kept all my old blades for paper cutting so I could go a long time without buying another blade. I wonder how many times they sharpen before the blade is no longer any good though.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.