Monday, January 4, 2016

My January One Monthly Goal on Design Wall Monday


On the design board today is the quilt as you go started by my quilt group. A few months ago, I put the blocks together and then handed it off to another member to put on the borders. I called her to see if I could get a picture of the finished quilt and she said she hadn't gotten to it, so it's back with me to add the borders and finish.

My January goal is to completely finish this quilt, since it is a QAYG and doesn't require moving everything in my sewing area to get it quilted.


We have plenty of blue fabric left, and just a little green. We thought the blue would make a great border on the top, but that means we would have to use a different fabric outside the blocks instead of the blue as we originally planned. The light green isn't bad, but I'm not sure there is enough.

I haven't been able to find instructions on a website or video on how to attach the borders, so this could be interesting.



I'm no longer going to be making a separate post tracking my stash, but will stick it onto a post at the beginning of each month. I still find it helpful to see what I've used, but it wasn't helping me to link it to another blog. I inventoried my stash of quilting cottons this weekend and adjusted my report to match. My goal this year is to only use fabric from my stash and not buy any fabric.





Linking to
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Main Crush Monday at Cooking up Quilts
One Monthly Goal at Red Letter Quilts

14 comments:

  1. The light green would work well if you have enough. Good luck with your fabric diet this year. I'm finding they are just as hard as calorie diets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that light green would look great with it...I think it's acceptable to cheat on the fabric diet if it is needed for a project! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree that the light green will work. It's a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like the light gree is it, Hope you have enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What about using a narrow green border next to the blocks and then a larger border of blue? You could make the green the same size as the sashing if you have enough. Or you could find a new fabric to be an inner border... decisions, decisions. Wow! You figured out how much fabric you had at some point in time? I don't really want to know that info. But I do like to see that number going down although way too often it is going up just as fast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for linking up with One Monthly Goal!
    Looking forward to seeing how you approach the border! I have begun my first QAYG project this month, seems like a great way to tackle a larger quilt. I LOL because, like you, I do quite a bit of re-arranging come quilting time so this method appeals to me for the same reason!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great start of the week. Now if you can just keep up the good work.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marti, those blocks will make a beautiful quilt! I've never done a QAYG quilt before, so am no help there. It will be fun to try on someday though. Best wishes with your One Monthly Goal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your stash spreadsheet. That does seem helpful. The quilt is very nice, but how frustrating the other member didn't do their part. Good luck finding something that will help you QAYG with the borders. That green would be lovely, but what about the white from the background? Is there enough of that? Good luck with your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never done QAYG, so I can't help you there!! I can't wait to see it finished!! Good luck on making your goal for OMG!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those blocks are lovely; the colors are so soothing. I'm no help with the borders - I've only ever made one QAYG project, a table runner. I hope you figure it out. I have never counted my stash, it seems like a pretty daunting task! :) I admire everyone who tracks their fabric usage and I agree that a fabric diet is as hard as a calorie one. Thanks so much for linking up to MCM!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck at sewing from only your stash. I can not go into a quilting store and not buy anything, But now I am only making scrap
    quilts, so I only buy 4 inches of fabric at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. https://kathysnest32.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry, I am no help to you with QAYG. Good luck with finishing, it will be a lovely quilt regardless of the troubles you've been experiencing during construction.

    I like your spreadsheet for tracking your stash. A great idea, especially with such a lofty goal of only sewing with your stash!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.