Sunday, April 28, 2019

Sunday Stitching Report Time

I'm glad I didn't set my sights on a 90% success rate with my stitching this year. My weekends are just not meant for sewing, at least not yet. Friday afternoon Hubby installed another door and trim, and I continued filling nail holes, painting and staining. Blech! Yesterday, we made two trips to our last storage unit and brought home our refrigerator, freezer, two cabinets, loveseat, three mattresses, and five chairs. It nearly killed me and I didn't even do any of the really heavy lifting.

When I was fifty and our youngest daughter moved to college and our oldest to her first apartment, we schlepped furniture, appliances, and umpteen boxes up multiple flights of stairs, down long halls, and around tight corners, and I declared it was the last time I would ever do any moving. Then, oldest moved to another apartment, and we did it all over again, and again, and again. And each time, I said it was the last time I was ever going to be part of a moving crew.

When we sold our house, we hired movers and it was wonderful. They moved stuff to storage and the rest into our rented duplex. But for a reason that neither of us can remember now, they didn't move everything, one being the loveseat. The double recliner loveseat. It weighs like a million pounds and most of the weight is on whichever end I pick up. We had minimal furniture at the duplex, and no appliances, so it was pretty easy to move it all here ourselves. But when we started talking about getting the stuff out of storage, I told Hubby that I wasn't going to do it. Not. Going. To. Do. It. Let's find a couple of all brawn, some brain, YOUNG!, guys to move this stuff because I am just too old to be moving furniture. Do you know how hard it is to find anyone who is willing to move things? Boy, you say move a freezer, and click, you are talking to a dead air. I would welcome some brawn, no brain, and arthritic, as long as I didn't have to do it, but as you know from reading above, it was me.

While we were loading the freezer into the pickup, another pickup pulling a U-Haul trailer drove past us on the way to their storage unit, and the young man driving paused to ask if Hubby wanted help. Hubby thanked them, but said no, we could get it; while behind his back, I was nodding yes, yes, yes! But with the help of a dolly, Hubby loaded the refrigerator and freezer, with guidance from me and then it was time for the loveseat which wouldn't fit on a dolly. Just about that time, the truck and U-Haul came back by and this time Hubby asked if they would help him move the loveseat. Not one, but two, strong, young men and a young woman hopped out of the truck to help. One of them helped Hubby and they easily picked up the loveseat and put it on our trailer.

It turned out that one of the young men and the young woman were married and had just sold their house. They were moving everything into storage while they built their barndominium. The young man wanted to get a ham radio, so he and Hubby talked radio for awhile, and they will probably come out to visit us soon. Isn't it funny how things work out sometimes?

I thought I must have remembered the weight of the loveseat incorrectly, so was prepared to pick up my end of the loveseat when we got home. But the young man must have reinserted the lead weights into the end after he set it down, because I couldn't budge it. We got the moving straps out, and I still couldn't lift it, and of course Hubby thought it was because I wasn't lifting right. It wouldn't have mattered if I had lifted right, left, or upside down; I couldn't lift it. Hubby finally slid it off the trailer into the garage, and we used sliders to get it into the house. By the way, those moving straps are the best things EVER for moving heavy things that aren't too wide.

We have to get the last few things out of storage today, and then we can end that expense. And word to the wise, for the length of time we have had all this stuff in storage, we could have bought all new appliances and furniture. But we thought it wouldn't only be for a few months. Seems like I've said that before. So no sewing today unless one of us throws out a back or drops a cabinet on a foot.

My reports don't show it, but I finally made some progress on the Depression Block Quilt. This is such a busy quilt that I think I am going to do simple straight line quilting on it. Now I have to decide whether to finish it for the RV or the house. If it is for the RV, I have to cut the corners. Decisions, decisions.





I'm joining the usual Sunday linkups:
15 Minutes to Stitch at Life in Pieces
Sunday Stash at QuiltPaintCreate

3 comments:

  1. Love your moving stories. Sounds familiar. Hope you get to sew soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our last move was corporate so they moved us!!! The time before that Hubster asked some friends for the heavy lifting, but we still had to do a lot of loads of back and forth. Hopefully the next move you have movers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are definitely experienced on the moving front. I thought I was done with that till the SIT started college. This next one will be move number 4. Hopefully this will be the last one till she heads off to graduate school. You got some stitching in and that's better than none.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.