Sunday, January 15, 2023

Week 2 Sewing Linkups



To-Do Tuesday

I had all week with nothing to do, but still didn't complete my simple list.

Last Week:

1. Finish Sugar Pie. Shopped my stash for backing and binding. 
I did pretty good finding backing and binding fabric. I had to piece the backing though and not in an even way. I hope the fabric is busy enough so it doesn't show. I quilted it with the walking foot and it was more of an undertaking than I anticipated. It probably would have been better if I had done a simple wave. I have started hand stitching the binding, but it may take awhile. I've been having some hand pain lately, probably carpal tunnel, and holding the needle between thumb and forefinger puts pressure on exactly the wrong place.

2. I need to get my Christmas decorations put away. 
Just about the time I think I've got everything put up, I spot another decoration in plain sight that I have looked at so many times that I just don't notice it anymore.

3. Make Sugar Pie pattern into a QAYG. 
I worked on it and decided it wouldn't work to join rows the way I wanted to make it.

4. Finish my Book Club book. Where the Forest Meets the Stars by Glendy Vanderah. This was a good read!

5. Don't get Covid. 
I wish I could tell you how hard I worked on achieving this, but of course, it was totally out of my control. I am grateful not to get it after two weeks of the flu and grateful that Mom had a very mild case of Covid.

♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥

Since I didn't complete any real tasks, my to do list for the coming week won't change much from last week.

This Week:

1. Finish the binding on Sugar Pie.

2. Put away Christmas decorations. 
If I don't get this done this week, I'll have New Year's decorations to put away too.

3. Rearrange sewing space and see if there is room for a bigger sewing table.

4. Reorganize my UFO boxes. 
Hubby moved the cabinet they were in but first had to unload the cabinet and he put the boxes wherever he could find a space.

Since Mom is still confined and I have no appointments this week, I predict another good week ahead.

.
Design Wall Monday


Even though I posted this design wall before, I'm including another picture of it. I've been gathering some of the duck cloth scattered about. Years ago, my daughter wanted a purple daybed cover and I made it out of solid purple duck cloth. When she tired of it, I made a couple of pillows out of the cover and put the rest in the scrap bin. I've made a couple of books bags that I donated to the local library and the duck cloth works very well for that. However, it doesn't take me long to get totally sick of sewing purple bags. I cut the purple into pieces for future bags so they will be easier to store than a bulky cover.

I'm hand stitching the binding on Sugar Pie right now, so technically, it is off the design wall. After I cleaned off all the fluff and threads, I went through a few stacks of fabric and found these shopping bags I started making years ago.

I don't know if I will make them a goal for the coming week, or just find all the pieces and put them in a project box to work on later. Right now, my priority is repairing the wall behind my cutting table, and getting better lighting over the cutting table and design wall. Maybe next week, it won't look like I took pictures in the dark.

Monday Musings

.
Sunday Stash


It has also been a good week for fabric usage. Even though I'm not keeping up with the total yardage of my stash right now, I am glad I counted and labeled each one for the last few years. It's really handy to have the yardage marked on each piece so I don't have to measure the pieces to find one that has enough yardage. That is one thing I'll continue doing when and if I add any new fabrics. Who am I kidding, of course there will be new fabrics.

I found exactly three yards for the backing of Sugar Pie and a half yard for the binding. I chose the backing fabric for the red coloring, but while cutting, I noticed the bits of sheet music. It doesn't exactly match the fabric on the front, but it matches the theme.



2023 STASH TOTALS
Added Jan 8-14                   0 yards
Added year to date              0 yards
Used Jan 8-14                 3.25 yards
Added year to date         6.25 yards
Net used in 2023 6.25 yards



.
Stitching Stuff


This has been a good week for sewing since our family has been exposed to Covid and staying in. Mom flunked her Covid test on Monday but started feeling better today. So far, fifteen people at her assisted living have it. Somehow, Hubby and I avoided getting it from her although we were confined with her for a few hours Monday. Since we were just getting over the flu, we fully expected to catch it easily. I have finally stopped coughing but Hubby's cough is hanging in there.

15 Minute Challenge for 2023:
Jan 8-14                  7 of 7 days
2023 Total             12 of 7 days
86% success rate




3 comments:

  1. Glad your mother is recovering quickly and that both of you are mostly over the flu. My Covid cough is still hanging around too. Hopefully all of us will lose that nasty symptom by the end of the week. Great stash metrics this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, those COVID exposures! ☹ I’m glad your Mom is feeling better! I hope you and your husband recover completely from the flu!
    Your sewing numbers look fabulous! Beautiful backing fabric! Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good start on time and fabric use, both!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.