Monday, December 7, 2015

Design Wall Monday

Hubby went hunting this weekend so I got a lot of work done on my new quilt. But when Hubby is gone, I don't sleep well and I made up for it this morning, so I'm getting a late start today.

This is based off a quilt I saw in a quilt store. I also found some similar online with the name Summer Porch. Eleanor Burns has a pattern that is similar but different, also called Summer Porch. I thought these would be just the right colors and pattern for my grandmother's four poster bed.

The living room/sewing room is in sewing room mode again and the design wall is up. So much easier than the floor for bigger pieces.

I started by measuring the bed and decided that seven inch blocks would line up best across it. But after I made quite a few blocks, I thought they were too big, or maybe it was too much color and the sashing looked too small. So I cut the blocks down to six inches and like it much better. Now I have a lot of one inch strips, so I can see some strip quilts in my future.





Linking to
Patchwork Times
Love, Laugh, Quilt
Bits 'n Bobs
Cooking up Quilts

18 comments:

  1. I love the colors. A lot.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope it doesn't look like a child's child when finished.

      Delete
  2. It's going to be lovely, especially for a four-post bed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you. I loved the one I saw so hope this one grows on me too.

      Delete
  4. I can really imagine this on an antique bed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! I needed too hear that! I thought it would work but now that I'm working on it, it seems pretty bright.

      Delete
  5. that is such a gorgeous quilt design and I do love the colours! thanks for linking up with http://cathquilts.blogspot.com.au/2015/12/dbm-12-its-starting-to-look-like.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is gorgeous! Love your color choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I wanted to go with just green, pink, and white, but that seemed to girly even for me. lol

      Delete
  7. So beautiful and love your fabric combo!
    Have a fun week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's certainly going to be colorful.

      Delete
  8. I didn't see the difference in the blocks until you pointed it out. I like the look of the smaller blocks too - this quilt will look so good on a four poster bed! The prints are so pretty and gives the quilt a cuddly old-fashioned look. Thanks for sharing at MCM! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandmother would have liked the colors I think so I hope I can finish it the way she would have liked too.

      Delete
  9. Very nice colors! I remember this quilt being in a magazine a few years ago and one of my bee-mates looked all over for the pattern and finally wound up figuring out like you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could have found her directions, but now that I have blocks the size I like, I think it will go faster.

      Delete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.