Sunday, December 6, 2015

Scrappy coasters

I have to say I. LOVE. THESE. COASTERS! They are quick and easy to make and so doggone cute. I had enough of the same fabrics to make two, and then had to start digging through the scrap bins to find enough similar fabrics to finish out four. I can just see these made with holiday fabrics too - Christmas, Valentines. And what a great gift idea too. Can you see how excited I am? It's because they are so easy. Literally took me 5 minutes to make once I had the fabrics. Digging through the scrap bins took about twenty minutes. lol



I searched all the local shops and couldn't find a hexagon ruler, so made mine out of cardboard. Not the greatest but it will work until I can buy one. In the picture, you'll notice the upper one isn't finished. I wanted to show my neighbor and fellow quilter how to make these.  I know she will be smitten also.

I mentioned this in my last post, but I'll say it again, that I saw these coasters on Lisa J's blog: sunlight in winter quilts. She has a link to a tutorial for them.

Thanks Lisa!



Linking to
Oh Scrap! at Quilting is more fun than Housework.
Love, Laugh, Quilt

19 comments:

  1. Oh thanks for sharing these. I can see how you could do seasonal ones. How awesome.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should probably wash one and see what happens before I go overboard making these, but they'd still be cute in Christmas colors.

      Delete
  2. These are attractive as well as functional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are. I'm anxious to see if condensation from an iced drink seeps through to the table and if so, I might line the next ones with something waterproof.

      Delete
  3. So fun! Thanks for the link to the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome. I think Lisa has a link on her blog to the tutorial.

      Delete
  4. Very pretty! And useful, too - double bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are a great little project to pull from your scrap bin. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. They do have to be big scraps though.

      Delete
  6. Fun coasters indeed! I made potholders a couple years ago with the same method, just bigger hexie's. Got a kit for them at a quilt show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a good project too. Did you put any batting in those?

      Delete
  7. I love your quilted coasters, and I can see how they could be adapted to different holidays with the right prints. I would love receiving a set as a gift. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think holiday prints would be good for anyone, but it would be impossible to find a color that suited everyone, and all neutral would be boring.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. I agree. I can't believe I haven't seen them before.

      Delete
    2. A great idea.... I've only discovered the joys of quilting so I'm definitely going to take a look at Lisa's blog. Jx

      Delete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.