Monday, April 23, 2018

Awww Rats Monday! and Design Board

This was supposed to be an Awww Monday post. I've been watching for a chance to take a picture of the neighbors' new calf. It's a cutie and would make a great Awww post. Yesterday, I looked out the window and saw my chance. The two calves (only one of them is still cute) were near my fence and the cows were a safe distance away. If you don't know much about cattle, the cows leave their calves napping in a group while they graze around the pasture. A cow's mother's day out.

I grabbed the good camera and jumped in the pickup and headed over to the fence. Before I could get out the door and around the pickup, the cute calf stood up and turned his back to me. Not an awww shot by any means. The hind end of a calf is just as unattractive as the hind end of a grown cow. Then, he turned his head and looked at me, and it was so cute, I nearly took a picture. But it would still be the hind end of a cow. So I waited for him to turn around.

By then, mama cow was getting concerned and headed our way. "Turn baby, turn," I crooned. He walked away and plopped back down in the grass. By then, mama cow was next to the fence giving me the evil eye. I call her Freckles.


I talked to her a minute and thought she might go over the calf and nurse him. That would be a cute picture, right? She did go over to him to see if he was okay, but he didn't get up. Then, a horse came over to see what was going on and he gave me the evil eye. I think I'll call him Nosy.


Right before I left, mama cow moved out of the way a little and I took a picture of the two calves. Not an awww picture, just a picture. Of cows. Cats can be cute doing nothing, but cows have to be doing something pretty special to get into the cute category. These animals were totally uncooperative and totally uncute. It's like they didn't care that the next day they could be featured on Awww Mondays. Maybe I'll get another chance before the calf grows into the not cute stage.


In other news, I did manage to get some sewing time in yesterday. I quilted two more Antique Tiles blocks and joined the last block on one row. I think if I complete a row today and tomorrow, and join the rows Wednesday, I can get the quilt finished by the April 30 deadline. I may have to buy fabric for the border. I thought I'd get the blocks together before trying out any of my stash fabric. And since this stage of the quilt isn't Awww some either, I just used my low quality iphone to take the picture.


The other thing occupying my time today is getting a closet finished. Even though we aren't ready for sheetrock, and don't plan on sheetrocking the whole house ourselves, we did decide to finish another closet (Hubby finished the storm room closet himself and put up some sheetrock in the guest bath for workmen privacy.  You see, in the trailer, we have two tiny closets. Really, they're fifteen inches wide and sixty inches tall. Big enough for several shirts and pants each. But a coat takes up half the closet so coats and most of our good clothes are still in a hanging closet moving box. So we decided that we needed a clean, finished space in the house for those clothes and quit fumbling with a box every day.  Well, Hubby has to fiddle with the box every day because he has to wear nice clothes to work.  I just wear jeans and a t-shirt and I don't care if they have fold wrinkles.   Yesterday, Hubby sheetrocked the little guest room closet and today, I taped and bedded.


And now, two cornish hens need to go in the oven, and they won't be cute enough for a photo either.

Linking to:
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts

9 comments:

  1. I linked your critters to Awww Mondays. They are cute. Why not.

    I'm glad you actually got to do some sewing. You're working on house project pretty much all the time.

    Have a fabulous Awww Monday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...lots of great projects...you are very busy! We are sheet rocking too....well, my Husband is doing the work....But, I am a great supervisor! Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marti: Love the farm animal photos, too me they are awww photos.
    That quilt is looking good, I love the colors.
    We sheetrocked our first and second home, I can do almost everything, I can even hook up electricity to the big box in the garage, I was afraid at first, now at our age we have everything done for us.

    Blessings
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marti - LOL - I was laughing so hard at your story of trying to get the cute calf picture .... yep, I just don't know why animals don't cooperate with us paparazzi when it means a chance to be FAMOUS!

    I also wanted to respond to your question about inflatable kayaks. The pros: Folds and fits in just about any mid-size car; very stable and hard to tip; inflates by hand easily, and you are ready to launch in 10 minutes. The cons: not as fast as a hard-side kayak, and does not steer 'nimbly' like a hard side.

    Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie, and thanks about the kayak info too.

      Delete
  5. Lots of fun photos, even if they aren't completely awww-worthy. At least you were able to get outside and enjoy a sunny day. Stitching and house finishing? You had a very busy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your calf picture is AWWWsome - especially for people who don't see farm animals every day. I like your antique tile blocks. I am looking at my cheddar fabrics, and thinking about starting a new quilt....but the partially finished ones are calling me too. Thanks for linking with Design Wall Monday, I appreciate you. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. That cow showed some catitude in being uncooperative with paparazzi, MOL ! You have really nice neighbors. We're glad you could do some sewing. Purrs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, you're right! That is exactly what a cat would do. And you can't make either one of them do something they don't want to do.

      Delete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.