Friday, June 8, 2018

New Quilt Block Idea, and Someone Else Already Made It

You know I've been making Disappearing Four Patch blocks. I've got it on the design wall and the more I look at it, the more I just don't quite like it. There was something wrong but I couldn't put my finger on it, until I looked at one of the pictures I had taken. Then, the offending block jumped out at me. It's the yellow. Yellow just doesn't fit with my color scheme.


Before I threw it into my scrap bucket, I wondered what it would like turned on point.


Not bad. Then, I wondered what it would look like if it was square but the X still went from corner to corner. So I lopped off the points.


And I liked it!


I deconstructed it to see how to make it, and the easiest way was to make an hourglass block and then cut it like the D4P. I thought I had created something brand new. But a quick search showed that someone had already thought of this design, and she called it Arrowhead. I was bummed. Then I found her instructions and they weren't anything like mine, a little more difficult I thought. I was un-bummed.

I found one very similar called Disappearing Four Patch with a Twist. It was made from a four patch which was then cut up on the diagonal so had an hourglass in the center instead of a four patch, and pieced triangles. Cute and easy to make, but not like my block.

I started making a few, taking pictures and making notes, and then I decided to google "Arrowhead" instead of Disappearing Four Patch, Disappearing Hourglass, or Disappearing Half Square Triangle. And that's when I found it. Someone had made one exactly like mine. I was back to being bummed. But not bummed enough to quit making them. I am making them out of bright fabrics, totally out of my comfort zone. Here is one of them.


If you want the instructions, you can find them here. Or you can just make an hourglass block, and cut it like a Disappearing Four Patch. The only thing I would add to the instructions I just linked is to starch your fabric before cutting it. It will keep the triangles from stretching on the bias.

On now to Scrappy Saturday. I've caught up with my May RSC blocks and made one June block. And here is where I have a problem. I don't have aqua or turquoise fabrics other than the three I used on that block. (I used the wrong side of one of them to make my fourth fabric.) Not in my scrap bucket and not in my stash. I don't want to buy anymore fabric right now so this may be it for June.


The top row is in shadow; those are really medium blue blocks.

I'm linking to:
UFO Busting at Tish's Adventures in Wonderland
Scraphappy Saturday at soscrappy
Friday Foto Fun at Powered by Quilting

9 comments:

  1. Your snowballs are adorable. What size are they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, your “new” block is certainly adorable. Is there ever really anything new under the sun? Every time I think I’ve done something original, someone has inevitably been there before. But don’t let that stop you!! And your snowball flowers are coming along beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great solution and no one would notice if you didn't say it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your experience proves my theory that there's really NOTHING new in this world anymore, only things that I haven't learned yet!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I just love your bright yellow block!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your Arrowhead blocks, especially that bright yellow one. The snowball blocks look great too. Hope you get in lots of stitching time this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the block you created by playing around. You never know what you'll make if you don't just go for it and try sometimes. Will you make an entire quilt out of the Arrowhead blocks? I can't wait to see it come together in a layout if you do. The snowball blocks are coming together quite nicely. I wouldn't stress out about only making the one teal/turquoise block. It might be kind of fun in the end to have just one of a color in the quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.