Friday, June 1, 2018

June One Monthly Goal

Summer has been here for awhile. It seems that pretty spring weather is only here for a few weeks and then the heat sets in. Summer brings different chores, keeping newly planted shrubs alive, working the garden, and once again, daily mowing. It doesn't leave much time or energy for sewing, and lately I've been working on EPP in front of the tv in the evening.

Today's temperature at 5:00 PM was 98F with a heat index that felt like 106F.

I'm melting!

I'd love to say that my goal is to finish this quilt by the end of June. But it's hot, and I need to be realistic, so my goal is to cut all my fabrics, make all the first four patch blocks, and finish fifteen D4P blocks.

This is where I am right now. Six D4P blocks completed. So far, since I haven't had many fabrics in colors I want, I have been cutting each fabric as I make the block. I think that is slowing down the process. If I can locate all the fabrics I need, and get them cut, I can do some chain piecing and speed things up.



I was going to make this quilt seven blocks by 8 blocks, with no borders.  But I am making this for our 5th wheel and it has to have a rounded corners on the foot of the bed.  The bed in our trailer is on a platform that we have to step up to on each side of the bed.  Anything dragging the floor is a trip hazard, so regular corners are out.  I don't want to cut the corners on these blocks, so I have decided to put a couple of borders around it, so I can round those instead of the blocks.

This is what it should look like, and this is when I wish I had EQ.  Oh well, I cobbled together a design in MSPaint without round corners.



I'm linking to:
One Monthly Goal for June at Elm Street Quilts.
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Main Crush Monday at Cooking Up Quilts
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts

8 comments:

  1. good luck with your goal Marti. It is a really nice looking quilt. I love how you are putting the fabrics together. Yes it is hard to find time to quilt with all the outdoor chores. Where we live we are having our usual July weather now and it is very humid which makes doing anything difficult. I think it may have cooled down today. I hope so . Thanks for commenting on my blog as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blocks. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how those D4P blocks are working out. Good luck with your OMG for June.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it interesting how the D4P's come out? I'm always pleasantly surprised at the finished result! You have a beautiful start to a lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love disappearing 4 patches. Your quilt will be a fun one to make so enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Is is fun to make one that is so simple but looks like more.

      Delete
  6. Great idea to round the corners! THis will be a great quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.