Sunday, December 20, 2020

2021 Quilting Goals

After 2020, I'm almost afraid to list any 2021 goals.  What a year this has been!  Most quilters have a large stash and laughingly say they have more than they can use in their lifetime.  That used to be me, never really believing that it was true.  But in the last year, I realized  that I probably won't be quilting until the end of my life, whenever that it and I really do have more fabric than I can ever use.  It's a sobering thought.  Even more sobering this year was the thought that I might not even be able to finish the projects I've started.  2021, for me, will be a year of finishes.  Whether done perfectly or imperfectly, right now, I just want to tie up loose ends.

In 2020, I only made three goals: Have a stay at home quilting weekend every month, finish UFOs as I find them, and do something every day that moves a project forward.  Pretty good goals actually and I started out full steam and with some good results.  But there were some major hurdles in 2020.

I agreed to babysit my daughter's boys for a month while she found a job and daycare and that month turned into four, exhausting months.  My stay at home quilting weekends ended when I started babysitting weekends.  The babysitting finally ended when it was time for my eye surgeries.  I've written about that before, but the downside is that my vision went from bad to worse and now I have doubled, distorted vision.  But in the last few weeks I have developed a sweet spot about twelve inches from my eyes where I don't have double vision.  That sweet spot gives me hope that the other problems can be corrected one day and I won't have to give up quilting completely.

In June, Hubby decided to insulate the attic and he moved everything from my side of the hobby room over to his side.  Then he moved everything from his side over to my side and didn't bother to keep things together.  And there it still sits today.  Boxes stacked on boxes with a narrow row between them.  I set up my sewing machine table and cutting table, but haven't been able to find my iron or my notions.  I don't know about you, but I can't quilt without my iron and seam ripper!

In the meantime, I have been cross-stitching because that is something I can do twelve inches from my eyes.  I haven't yet figured out how to get my face close enough to the sewing machine to see what I'm sewing without hunching over and killing my back.  I also bought some Ikea cabinets for my sewing and crafts and was able to put them together without much help.  As I unpack boxes, now I can put all my quilting supplies in one place.

While unpacking boxes and sorting into my new cabinets, I counted thirty-one UFOs.  Yes!  Thirty-One!  I have always wanted to do the quilting on all my quilts, but my new reality is that I can't.  So I have decided to send out all the finished quilt tops (flimsies), and do the quilt-as-you-go method for all the quilts that are still just blocks.

Goals for 2021:

1. Send out at least six flimsies for quilting.
2. Redesign quilt patterns for blocks into QAYG.
3. Have a monthly stay-at-home quilting weekend.
4. Find that darn iron!
5. Find a way to set up my sewing table so I can see without hunching over.
6. Do something every day to keep projects moving.
7. Blog here at least once a week, even if it is just a silly picture.  Note to self, start collecting some silly pictures.

My next eye surgery was supposed to be in late January or early February and the one after that two months later.  I don't know if that is still going to happen.  Hospitals are once again closed to elective surgeries.  And I don't know how what kind of recovery or how long it will be.  I know there is no bending over, no lifting, and sleeping upright for awhile.  I won't even make a goal for sewing every day, or even every week, because I know that can't happen after surgeries.

What are your quilting goals for 2021?

I am once again joining the 2021 Planning Party at Quilting JetGirl and hope to complete it this year.

2021 Planning Party

11 comments:

  1. That's a realistic set of goals. Hopefully the next surgeries will allow you to claw back some additional sight in one or both eyes. Hopefully 2021 will be a better year than 2020.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope 2021 will be gentle to you. Love your goal #3, and good luck with goal #4!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about your eye problems it must be awful for you I hope that your surgery goes ahead as planned and it is successful. I stopped making goals as I found that like you I start off well but something always crops up and scuppers my plans, then I get despondent because I didn't follow them through. Good luck with your goals for 2021 I hope they all come to pass. Have a great Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to read about your eyes and the upcoming surgeries. Hoping they all go ahead as planned. Here's to a better 2021 :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that the drs are able to correct your vision problems. 2020 has been challenging on many fronts. Sometimes, my goal was to just get through the day. One day at a time...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that certainly is a big stash! Great goals for 2021 though - well done for being so organised

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with your goals and your surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope that your surgeries go as planned and results are good. I'll be watching for updates and seeing how you work through that stash.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite goal is "Find that darn iron!" :)

    But most of all I think you need lots of "good luck" for your eyes and that the next surgeries happen soon and will finally help! Fingers crossed xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Marti, I am sad for your vision struggles. Reading your 2020 story makes me grateful for my vision even though it needs a little help. Do you get headaches? I hope not.
    Your goals are inspiring because of your predicament. Prayers that you can get into surgery sooner and that it will help you to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment. I hope to have an appointment made tomorrow to get ready for the next surgery. I found out today that my ophthalmologist referred me to a pediatric eye surgeon. lol

      Delete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.