Monday, February 23, 2015

Design Wall on a Wintry Monday



I should never have said that we were going to go through this winter without a bit of ice or snow. The freezing rain started last night after a day of rain, and more is expected Wednesday. The road crews started putting de-icer on the roads Friday, but the school and business closings started last night. Hubby's boss even sent out a text message telling everyone to work from home today. I think that's a first. Dallas-Fort Worth isn't really prepared to deal with snow, but they do have sand trucks to deal with ice. This is a particularly heavy ice in most of the DFW area though.

You'd think with no chance of leaving the house that I would have a lot more done on the design wall. But yesterday I was trying to FMQ on the February UFO quilt, and found that it wouldn't slide across the MDF table top template at all. So I shelved everything and went out to cut the real table top. I stained it before going to bed and this morning I applied the first coat of Watco. Another coat, let it dry, and then I'll wax it for a super smooth finish.

On the design wall, I have the Irish Chain leaders and enders, The Sweet Sixteen, and The Butterfly.





I'm linking to Patchwork Times #49.

10 comments:

  1. Glad that precautions were made for schools and businesses so everyone could be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your butterflies are beautiful. Are they your design? Looking forward to seeing what you will do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it's better to call off school and work than risk driving on the ice. Tomorrow, there are late openings here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. No, they aren't my pattern. I got it from an older book and just revised the pattern so all the wing pieces are the same size. Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some small pieces in the Irish Chain project. How big will you go? Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  6. It will be a lap quilt, but yes, those are small pieces. I should have adapted the pattern I found, or found another pattern with bigger blocks. But this does work well for small scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ice in Dallas is a scary thing, Texas just isn't set up for dealing with it. Glad that they let your guy work from home. We got some snow, but it wasn't bad enough to cause the schools to close. For once it was worse the more south you lived.

    Love all the blocks up on your design wall. You've been very productive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I grew up in the Tx panhandle, and they get a lot of snow, or at least a lot more than we do in North Texas. The worst thing about getting ice and snow here is that most people haven't got a clue how to drive in it and they are more dangerous than the roads.

    I do have a lot on the wall, but I feel like I'm spinning my wheels right now. I just can't seem to make progress on anything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Got iced in here in Mason. That meant no internet for us since our satellite requires PERFECT weather. Thinking I need a new service.

    Quilts are looking really good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you! We talk about changing our internet provider too. The problem is that there is really only one choice where we are. I hope you have more choices.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.