Thursday, February 26, 2015

Friends Who Have Never Met

Began and Finished 2015





I didn't realize I was getting down to the wire on this. I announced my February UFO here.  I actually finished it yesterday, but because I used a pink chalk to mark my quilting lines, I had to wash it.  And even though it's not very noticeable, some of the pink is still there.  I did stitch in the ditch around and inside all the blocks and then a FMQ double loop around the outer border.  I needed to to piece the back to make it wide enough so used some of the extras.  I hate to give away a quilt that doesn't look new and crisp, but there was just no other way to get the chalk out.

I've been calling this the Friends Who Have Never Met Quilt because I feel like I have been completing a quilt started by quilting friends I've never met.  But lately I've been calling it the Orphan Blocks Have a New Family.  It doesn't matter as the quilts we give through the church don't get a label with their name, only the name of our group and who it is going to.



Now I need to decide which UFO to finish for March, and I also hope to finish at least one WIP also. It's been so cold here lately that one with a lot of handwork might be nice. We got a reported two inches of snow yesterday, which was just enough for kids to make some muddy snowmen, and today I saw a few flakes but they never stuck.

I'll link to The February Finishes Party #64 at Sew Bittersweet Designs.

11 comments:

  1. I like the two color sets of blocks on the front and love the pieced back! Playing with orphan blocks is challenging and such fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful. Whoever gets this will be so thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great. Congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, these were fun once I found a pattern and colors that worked. I made and discarded several other blocks before I settled on this one. It was nice that the pattern on the orphan blocks wasn't one that couldn't be squared up. I've been in swaps before where I received blocks that either weren't square or were too small.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! It seems odd to me to make such small quilts, but I do remember when fil was in the nursing home and in a wheelchair. Nearly all the wheelchair residents had the footrests up and used their feet to pull themselves along in their chairs. So a longer quilt would be in the way. Fil was always cold but he needed something on his shoulders more than his lap. Still, this size is great for practice, especially free motion, and luckily, the recipients don't care if the stitching is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! It was fun and a good practice piece too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks. I got over my dislike of string blocks with this one too, so that's a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great use of orphan blocks. It turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks! It was fun but I'm glad to move on to other things now.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.