Saturday, February 7, 2015

New Design Wall

New on the design board is my first block for a scrappy Irish chain, my new leaders and enders quilt.



Last night I decided that it was high time to stop putting up with the piece of interfacing I was using as as a design wall and put up something that the blocks would actually stick to. (I had to pin most things to the interfacing.) Besides the fact that most fabric wouldn't stick to it, the interfacing was long and narrow which made it hard to get a good overall look at a project.



I bought four yards of flannel recently for just this purpose, cut it into 2 two yard sections and sewed those sections together. I also made a binding strip for the top so the clips have something to grab onto. Now the design wall is wide but not as long, which is fine because there will be a table under it most of the time.





So that's what I've been doing, what about you?

Linked to Gone Stitchin' #49

8 comments:

  1. if i every get a sewing room i want a wall to have this on. right now in my dining room all the walls have doors in them

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very handy design wall. I'd be lost without both of mine. I'm getting ready to go do Drama Teen's hair, she has a dance tonight. We'll see how this goes, I'm not a great hair and make up person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I was going to have to cover the door, but turns out I could go under one beam. I did put it up so it comes down easily though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure beats the floor. Good luck with the hair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a flannel bedsheets that I use infrequently for a design wall; however the front room floor works the best for me?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I looked for flannel sheets but only found florals - didn't want that. I still use the floor too but I've found that it is handy to have the blocks on the wall in the room where I'm sewing so I just have to glance up to check myself while I'm sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am reading out of order here - I just read about learning new things. I have to admit - I am learning new things right here reading about what you are doing. AND I have to admit - I am a little lost. Getting the general idea. The wall is a great idea, but I still gaze in amazement at the placement of the pieces and so on! But I really don't think I want to venture into the world of quilting. I really get enough stimulation from my machine embroidery!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's no particular placement on that design wall. Eventually, the butterflies will be appliqued onto 12 inch blocks, but that is still to come.

    Sometimes I wish I had a better embroidery machine, or that mil's friend would get back to me on a price for hers, but that would be just one more thing taking my time. Friends of mine who make quilts and try to sell them say it's hard to get a price that makes it worth doing, but friends who have an embroidery machine and make things for sale say they easily make a profit. So you're probably doing the right thing.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.