Tuesday, February 3, 2015

February UFO

The bad thing about not finishing a quilt, at least for me, is that I can't remember how I planned to finish it.  I know I had a plan for this quilt.  Seems like there was some ripping out of parts of the existing blocks, but I just can't remember.  So rather than rack my brain for what I had planned before, I am going to come up with a new plan.  This is another lap quilt for people in the church who are sick or in nursing homes and the finished size is supposed to be around 40x40.  It's currently about 30x30.

This quilt came about when someone donated ten orphan blocks to our group and the ladies challenged me to make a quilt with them.

From this:



I came up with this:



And now need to add borders, or more blocks, and then quilt. So this is my February UFO, and I am linking to a Year of Lovely Finishes #16 at Sew Bittersweet Designs.

9 comments:

  1. Very nice. I always find orphan blocks a challenge, and sometimes they do not want to play well together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would think that coming up with a new plan would be easier. But then, I am not a quilter. Is that polka dot fabric or minky fleece?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great way to use those orphan blocks. Good luck with your finishing plan. That's the step that always takes me the longest is figuring out how to finish off a project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure which fabric you mean, but no, there are no polka dots and no minky. I like minky but I'm a bit hesitant to sew with it. I'm afraid it will crawl or stretch when I sew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right about that, and I wouldn't have chosen these either. I didn't care for the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me too. Borders are the worst for me. I once said that to a friend who has quilted for years and she said she often doesn't put borders on her quilts for that very reason. And I looked around her studio and sure enough, most of her quilts were just blocks to the edge. Marti

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how it turned out! And how you tied it all together... very creative! www.crazyforpurple.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. […] didn’t realize I was getting down to the wire on this. I announced my February UFO here.  I actually finished it yesterday, but because I used a pink chalk to mark my quilting lines, I […]

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.