Saturday, January 5, 2019

Rainbow Scrap Challenge Week 1

My goal this week was to make one Snowball Blossom, one True Lovers Knot, and one Pond Lily.

If you think that the Snowball Blossom looks like the Snowball Flower blocks I made in last year's RSC, you are exactly right.  I just got tired of the name and thought I'd change it for 2019. lol  I found the pattern on Lisa Boyer's blog Dorky Homemade Quilts but there is nothing dorky about the quilt she made. Her corners all lined up perfectly too. Mine did not, so maybe I should have called mine dorky blossoms. She named her block and quilt The Puakenikeni Baby Quilt, but I am not even going to try to pronounce or spell that again, and since it looks like a flower made from snowball blocks, I named mine Snowball Flower in January 2018. Like she suggested, my large squares are 4-1/2 inches but the white and yellow squares used to make the triangles are 2 inches instead. I made them the suggested size at first and then thought they needed to be larger. I got so tired of making that block and trying to match those triangle seams, that eventually I just set it aside. When I decided to revive it for 2019, I thought it needed a fresh name too so renamed it Snowball Blossom. Maybe I'll finish it this year before I get tired of this name too.

 The Pond Lily was and is a struggle. Seems the hand-drawn pattern printed in the Denver Post isn't drawn quite right and I'm having a do-over today. I've only completed one corner of one block. And it's not really red, more of a hot pink because I couldn't find any red batik that suited me.

Other things have been going on this week and I haven't gotten much sewing done, but I hope to finish the other three corners of the pond lily today.



Linking to:
Scraphappy Saturday at soscrappy

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Life does get in the way at times, but I think that for sanity's sake, we all need to find just a few moments each day to be creative. Sometimes just touching some fabric and dreaming of quilts yet to come will have to be enough though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. Sometimes just sorting and pulling out fabric for the next project helps me focus and get back to work.

      Delete
  2. Nice blocks! And you got farther than I did on the RSC! I'm still picking fabric and agonizing over choices. Good luck with the pond lily.
    Cheers,
    Sylvia@Treadlestitches

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might be agonizing over fabric choices if I had had more fabric to choose from. lol I have very little true red in my stash. Lots of dark red though, so my next block will use those.

      Delete
  3. A lot of my red batik fabrics seem to be hot pink as well. It is a lovely pattern though, glad you were able to get it to work out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a bright red batik at the quilt store, but it was so bright I didn't think it would work as well with the other colors I chose. But you're right, most of the fabrics were shades of pink and magenta.

      Delete
  4. You gave your RED scraps a nice workout!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't tell, but I bought a couple of fat eighths to make these work. I just don't have much of the true red in my stash, or I didn't.

      Delete
  5. I really like the True Lovers Knot block. That's going to make a beautiful RSC quilt. Hope you got in lots of stitching time over the weekend and go the Lily Pad block all worked out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think that is going to make a great quilt too. I didn't get a lot of stitching in Sunday after all. I am down with a cold and really just want to be in bed.

      Delete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.