Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Block of the Month Quilts for 2019

Deana at Dreamworthy Quilts has come up with a new concept for a block of the month. Each person decides on their own pattern. I think this is the greatest idea because so often I want to do a BOM, but I already have in mind quilts I want to do in the next year and hate to add another, unknown, quilt.

For years, my mom has asked me to make her a Sunbonnet Sue and Overall Sam quilt similar to this one made by her grandmother for mother.  This is my brother on the quilt at my grandmother's house.  After my brother got older, my grandmother put the quilt away for the next grandson (and there wasn't another grandson), and mom never saw it again. She bought me several patterns ten years ago, but at the time, I didn't think I could make an applique quilt. I'm ready to try it now. She wants Sue along with Sam even though it looks to me that the original quilt was only Sam in various positions.



Another BOM I'd like to make is from an old pattern printed by the Denver Post in 1933. It's called Pond Lily, and I want to do it as a Rainbow Scrap Challenge. One of my passions is growing water lilies, and I can just see these in batiks.



I'm not sure when her linky for this ends, but if you want to join, follow my link here.

4 comments:

  1. Yay Yay Yay! I am so excited about your BOM projects! I LOVE Sunbonnet Sue and Overall Sam. I made some last year and even a Fisherman Fred. You are making a block from a 1933 pattern? That is the coolest thing I've heard in blogland in some time. That block does not look easy.

    Thanks for joining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! How did you do your Sunbonnet Sue and Sam? I don't do needle turn applique, but thought I might try the method using dryer sheets or interfacing. Or I may just fuse them and go over the edges - my last choice.

      I hope that 1933 isn't too hard. I'm not crazy about curves and it may be the first goal of the year I give up on.

      Delete
  2. Very fun BOMs for 2019. I love that Pond Lily block. It will look gorgeous done in a rainbow of batiks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I tried out the pattern yesterday with some scrap fabric and it's a little challenging so I hope I don't waste a bunch of batiks trying to get it right, but I think the pattern just calls out for batik.

      Delete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.