Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Jacob's Ladder Progress and a Quandry

I know now why I stashed this UFO in a box fourteen years ago. Blocks aren't the same size, seams are too small, bias pieces are stretched - the list goes on. And to think that some people buy old quilt blocks at estate sales that are in worse shape and manage to make a decent looking quilt out of them.


I know this is a crummy picture and I'll try to take a better one if there is tomorrow is sunny.  Tonight I'm holding a flashlight on it to take a picture.  Not ideal.  The colors are green and white.

If you remember, I originally had a long narrow strip pieced together. I took the end off and split it into a couple of strips to add to the side. Now it is a throw size, and that's where the quandry comes in. It doesn't seem finished as it is now. I have the strip of four patches on the left, quite a few four inch green pieces, the green remnant on the right and a white piece the same size. The white is really a white on off-white which will make it really hard to match, and since these fabrics are fourteen years old, there is zero possibility of finding more of either fabric.

I've been tossing around some ideas. 1.) There might be enough of the green and of the white to make very narrow borders but I would still need a larger border and binding. 2.) I could make a border out of black or a very dark shade of green and then.... 3.) Totally no idea.

Any ideas?

Linked to:
WIPs on Wednesday at Esther's Quilt Blog

9 comments:

  1. One thing I've done with some of my scrap quilts where I used one white for the blocks, but didn't have any left for the sashing or borders is to use a narrow colored border between the white in the blocks and a different white in border or sashing. If they are not right up against each other, it's a bit harder to tell the two different whites aren't the same color. If you have enough of the dark green to make a narrow border that would be one option. Or you could add narrow border of background and find a print fabric with the green and white to use as your final border.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't help you here because I know nothing about quilting. I can't even sew a straight line. I flunked home economics in high school. Very sad.

    Have a fabulous day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marti: It is beautiful, I love the colors, I am not a quilter so cannot help you.


    Blessings
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. how about leave the border off and is the main part of the quilt big enough for a baby quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’d may be unpick the 4 patches and use 4 in the corners only . But first I’d add a folded 1/4inch spacer in a deep red then a white border the same size as your 4 patch and adding the 4 patch’s in each corner! And may be 1/2 way down each side but put the side ones on point. Hope this gets your juices going for ideas LOL. It to lovely not to finish. Cheers Glenda.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you turn the picture sideways and make the checkerboard strip the bottom? I turned my computer screen sideways and the quilt looked different. It became asymmetrical and the checkerboard strip seemed to weight the quilt so that it looked like the bottom.

    Jeannie @ GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could you make a border out of a completely different color like red?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea, along with Glenda's red spacer. I pieced together enough of the green to make a border yesterday, so it's done now.

      Delete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.