Saturday, March 3, 2018

Sewing Reports and Design Board

I had a great sewing week. Finishing two UFOs this month made me feel great, and having positive numbers in both reports made it even better. On Friday, I started working on the green RSC blocks for March. After I made the first one, I thought it looked kind of like a clover, so I took a detour to make a miniture shamrock block.


So cute and fun to make except for those dog ear corners on the snowballs. Since I started having double vision, sewing on a thin pencil line has become very difficult. When I made the blue blocks in January, I forgot to put the dogears on the corners opposite the yellow corner on one block. I corrected that, but now I wish I had done all the blocks that way. That would be four less lines to see on each block. I don't think I hit the line on a single block yet. I have had to give up perfectionism. Maybe that's a good thing though. I used to redo things that were perfectly acceptable at work and home, and now, well, I've just had to tell myself that it's good enough. But if I ever make another quilt with this block, I'm making the snowballs without the dog ears on the far corners.  What do you think?  Could that look like a flower?



In the evenings, I'm working on the EPP Ferris wheels.  It's slow going and seems like I am using the same fabrics over and over.  I need to go dig through my bins for more variety.



I've also continued to make string blocks and have them in several sizes now thanks to another unpacked box. Among all the blocks in it, there were some pastel four inch string blocks. I have no idea what project I had in mind for blocks that size. Maybe as I continue to unpack, I'll find some instructions packed with the silverware or tucked inside a jar. Every box is a surprise.



And even some string blocks in single colors.  I think I'm going to continue making these in the RSC colors for this year.  Making just three snowball blocks each month isn't very challenging.



And of course, the UFO of the month, Jacob's Ladder, is still on the board.

Now on to the reports.  I never know how to record a week that is split between two months, so I basically do a double report. I spent time every day sewing. A good forecast for the coming week may be my downfall though. I really need to get outside and build some raised beds if it isn't too muddy. Digging in wet clay is almost impossible. It sticks to the shovel, shoes, and everything it touches. But for now, my report shows 100% for the month of February, for the week, and so far, for March.


Even the stash report is good. For the first time this year, I am showing more fabric used than added. Not only did I not buy any fabric this week, I didn't unpack any either. I've had a box sitting on my cutting table all week though. But it can just sit there, because a negative in that column sure looks good for a change.


Linking to:
Rainbow Scrap Challenge at soscrappy
Oh Scrap! at Quilting is More Fun than Housework
Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy's Quilts
15 Minutes to Stitch at Life in Pieces
Sunday Stash at QuiltPaintCreate
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
BOMs Away at Katie Mae Quilts
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Main Crush Monday at Cooking up Quilts
Tuesday Archives at Val's Quilting Studio

19 comments:

  1. I love the shapes and the colors. I wish I could do this kind of thing, but I'm terrible. I flunked Home Economics in high school. I was that bad.

    Have a fabulous day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I never took Home Ec. My dad didn't think it was useful. lol I guess I'm trying to make up for it now.

      Delete
  2. Love the clover leaf! Great block for the month. I like the blue without the extra white corners....looks like a flower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got some AWESOME scrap blocks on the go!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your shamrock! And actually, I think the snowball blocks look more like a flower WITHOUT those outer dog-eared corners! Your string blocks are great! I just finished and posted my string block on the RSC list. They’re addicting, aren’t they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your clover block looks just right as is, and you did not have to make any yellow dog ears. When I do them I stitch a bit more toward the corner than the center so it won't end up short. Then I can trim it if necessary. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. String blocks are always useful, and you have a nice assortment. Once you eliminate the corners from the snowball blocks they are probably called something else, but I'm not sure what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The snowball without clipped corners looks like cat ears to me.

      Delete
  7. The clover box is just adorable! Lots of cute snowball variations. Sounds like Christmas there with all the goodies turning up during unpacking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the miniature shamrock. What fun. You have some very pretty projects going.

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO many wonderful scrappy projects! Love the ferris wheel EPP!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those string blocks look so much fun. They really are one of my favorite blocks. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marti, I love your Ferris Wheels and your shamrock is adorable! Have you tried any other marking utensils besides pencil? The Bohin mechanical extra-fine chalk pencils work well for me, and they come in lots of colors so there's bound to be one that shows up well on whatever fabrics you can't see your pencil lines on. Could adding or improving your lighting at the sewing machine help you see the lines? Your version without the corner blocks is lovely in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your variety of projects you have going on. I'd like to welcome you to share your post with us tomorrow at Tuesday Archives...as our theme will be clovers. :) :)I welcome you and your readers to stop by:https://myplvl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your fun little shamrock! Very cute. You've gotten in some great stitching time and are making progress on multiple fronts. Hopefully you can still get in a bit of handwork each evening when it's too dark to work outside.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have lovely projects in progress. I especially love the ferris wheel one. If you have any other projects with dog ears, you might try the Studio 180 Design Corner Pop tool. I received one as a gift and just started using it. No thin lines to trace or follow, though a bit more trimming. So far I like it. Only several hundred more to go on my new project!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That shamrock block is absolutely adorable! I vote for embracing spontaneity in quilts and allowing the little miss-ups at snowball corners that happen when double vision challenges you. Perfection of seam joins is highly overrated, and spontaneous quilts are charming!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.