Friday, March 9, 2018

Mug Rugs



Both Began and Finished 2018




I made the shamrock block last week knowing I wanted to make it into a mug rug. I thought it would make a good door prize for our book club. Then, at the last minute yesterday, I decided to make another one that would be good all year. Please excuse the pictures. The mug rugs really are square; I didn't have a chance to take a picture of them until I was in the car ready to deliver them, and a bucket seat is just not the right surface to take a gook picture.  Plus, I hurt my lower back Wednesday night and I couldn't reach out to hold the camera directly over them.

The shamrock mug rug is 6.5 inches by 9.5 inches and I decided to make the binding narrow so it wouldn't overwhelm.  I made it 1.5 inch and the corners were hard at that size.  So I made Susie's magic binding on the books mug rug knowing it was a wider binding.  I really didn't want to piece the binding and thought one length from a 42 inch piece of fabric would work.  After I rounded the fourth corner, I saw that there just wouldn't be enough overlap and had to piece in more length with a straight seam.  I am so bummed about that.

Linking to:
Friday Finishes at crazy mom quilts
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday at Powered by Quilting

13 comments:

  1. I love these!!! The Shamrock is just in time for St. Patty's day too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you left your second project bummed ... I know how that feels and it can be hard to shake it for a while. For those who don't sew (maybe the majority of your book club?) they might not even see it? I didn't notice it until you pointed it out. They are both lovely and I am sure the new owner will love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope you are right and most people won't notice. There are a couple of quilters in the group though and one also teaches quilting. I'll have to get her a galloping horse. lol

      Delete
  3. I love them both. What a lovely way to have your coffee too.

    Have a fabulous weekend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, it keeps spills and cookie crumbs off the computer. lol

      Delete
  4. I love doing these on the embroidery machine - it is an "in the hoop"easy project.

    Yours are just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'd like to see yours. I don't think I've seen any embroidered ones yet. They sure are popular right now.

      Delete
  5. I didn't notice it either, I'm sure the recipient will be so happy to win it they could care less. If they should notice that is.
    I'm hard pressed to choose which one I would prefer.
    Hoping that back is better real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very fun mug rugs! Both turned out beautifully. I hope you back is doing better. It's no fun to not be able to move freely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really cute mug rugs. I am sure your book club buddies will love them.
    Don't you just hate when those little "oopsies" happen? I had it happen recently on a tablerunner an did not have any more matching fabric. I had to use a different piece! Yikes! It's ok now though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do! I feel like I should have made a better plan.

      Delete
  8. Cute, cute, cute! I have to make a postcard by August, and these are great inspiration, although they are mug rugs. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. If you google mug rug, there are so many that are absolutely adorable. I bet it's the same for postcards. I hope you post your finished card; I haven't made one but I like to look at them.

      Delete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.