Monday, January 27, 2020

Design Wall Monday and Goals for Week 5

On the design wall today are all the blocks for the 2005 BOM, a sampler I've named Ameliorate, using reproduction civil war fabrics. I finished the last block late Sunday and then played with a few layout. The first layout is just the twelve blocks in rows. With the second layout, I will need to make another block and some fillers. With the third layout, I would need to make a medallion center and would probably make another block on point within the center block. I'm leaning toward this third layout right now.






Reviewing last weeks goals is a little disappointing. I have not been able to find the backing fabric for the Baby Bow Tie Quilt. I may have to buy new fabric for it, but I'm not going to do that until I have opened every box in the attic, and there are still a lot of them. I'm not going to spend any more time looking for it now. I'll just move on to the next UFO. I also haven't made any progress on the design wall. I am meeting some resistance from Hubby about finishing the wall, which makes sense considering we don't have any cabinets in the bathroom and still have a utility sink in there. The only goal I completed was finishing the last three blocks for the sampler.

I think these are realistic goals for the coming week:

1. Decide on a layout for the sampler quilt. The fabric I have in my stash may be the determining factor in that. I know I have some blue civil war reproduction fabric and that may be all there is. I'm afraid I will need to buy more of the off-white background fabric. It's Moda so I should be able to find some.

2. Clean up the Snowball Blossom quilt. I noticed some threads that need to be clipped and I don't think I tacked the corners on the binding.

3. Make a label for the Snowball Blossom quilt. I was going to leave it until I had someone to give it to, but I think I want it done and finished.

4. Attempt a sweater makeover. I have a hand-me-down sweater that I like except for one thing - when I washed it (apparently for the first time) - the sweater shrank but the zipper didn't.  So now the zipper is wavy and unattractive. First step is to remove the zipper. Also, the sleeves are too long and not just fashionably long, more like orangutan arm length. I'm not sure there is a fix for that, at least one that I am capable of doing. I don't knit.



Linking to:
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
BOMs Away at Katie Mae Quilts
To Do Tuesday at Home Sewn by Us
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter Midweek Makers at QuiltFabrication

8 comments:

  1. Hi Marti! I think you made great progress last week. You've gotten this UFO from 2005 to the point where you can think about the layout! That's a huge step - and I really like the direction you're taking these blocks. I can't wait to see what you place in the center. Gosh, I can't even imagine how you're going to fix that sweater. I wonder if just shortening the cuffs would help on the sleeves? Taking off the zipper sounds like a LOT of work. Good luck with this week's goals. I look forward to hearing all about them. Thanks for linking up this week! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so frustrating when zippers do that. Your blocks look great, I think I like the on point layout the best. Good luck with finishing the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blocks look great, and I do like the on-point layout. For the medallion layout, do you have a panel that would complement the blocks? That would make an easy center. As for shortening your sweater sleeves, a hem with a little elastic in it should be perfect. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have set yourself some wonderful goals for the week, Marti. I enjoy following your progress.

    P.S. Those blocks are so so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your sampler blocks. I’m a relatively new quilter. You’re UFO has been around since way before I started quilting! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did make pretty good progress. It is frustrating when you buy fabric for purpose and then you can't find it. I have the same problem, it gets stuck in a drawer and I then I don't remember having done that. I like all the layouts, but the third one is the most creative. Hope you've been able to make some good progress on this week's to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good set of goals! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your blocks! How satisfying to finally put them together. All of your layouts look promising. Can't wait to see which one you choose. Thanks for linking to Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.