Thursday, January 16, 2020

The Border Dilemma

I love making the main part of the quilt, but I always struggle with borders. When I mention this to other quilters, they look at me quizzically like it has never been a bump in their road to a finished quilt. But here I am with a center flimsy, or maybe it's not a flimsy when it is a quilt-as-you-go, maybe it's a stiffy, or a stuffy. Anyway, here I am with the center stuffy, trying to find a border from my stash. I originally thought white on white so it didn't compete with the center, but I don't have any more true white on white. It could be the white on off-white I have will look less off-white when it is unfolded to a single layer of fabric. Of all the other fabrics I tried out, only the yellow and purple on the left are possibilities. What do you think?


My Janome voted to just bind it as is. It doesn't like QAYG, at least not the sashing method.

What are you working on this week? Join me at these linkups:
Put Your Foot Down at For the Love of Geese
Whoop! Whoop! at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Wednesday Wait Loss at Inquiring Quilter
Midweek Makers at Quilt Fabrication

9 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous. Borders are a struggle for me too. Finding a design that will compliment the main design instead of distracting is difficult. Like you I sometimes quilt and bind out of frustration To be honest, some of my quilts with borders on have them because I don't want to bite into the design edge with binding. I also like to add a narrow border with the background fabric when I cannot decide. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the purple as a choice for the border. you could do a narrow "white" border and then add the purple around it. That would unify it and frame it wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very pretty no matter what you call it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would bind it as is, especially since it's QAYG. I'm not even sure how to add a QAYG border to a QAYG quilt. It seems like it would be hard to do that w/o it looking kind of odd. I'd probably use the purple to bind it.

    It's very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rarely do borders. But I often add a small strip off the background around a quilt to give it a bit of breathing room and then not have the binding cutting off points. So I also like the suggestion of Gene: Small white "sashing border" and if you still want a border then the real one. I think both purple and yellow work but I'd favor yellow because it is such a happy, sunny color :)
    xo Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute quilt! I vote for a small white border, then the purple. BUT, it is your quilt - go with what your instincts tell you. Thanks for linking with Design Wall Mondays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Borders are a struggle for me too. A narrow border of the white, then the purple would work well. I think you want a little bit of space between the bright colors in the quilt and the darker purple. If you don't have enough white left, I'd suggest doing a very narrow border in the yellow, followed by the purple.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would go for an inner border of white or whatever color used in all the blocks. Then put an outer border fabric with most of the colors in it, or one of those yellows. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely quilt! Looks like you're binding it as is, and there's nothing wrong with that! If I was going to add a border, I would have gone with the purple simply because purple is my favorite. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.