Thursday, January 23, 2020

Snowball Blossom





First finish of 2020!

I finally decided to machine stitch the binding on this quilt rather than hand stitch since it will be used and washed often (I hope). Looking at the photo, I see a lot more flaws than I see in person. I am going to wash it before putting it away in the gifting closet, and if it doesn't tighten up, I may do more stitching in the petal blocks.

What I've learned about Quilt-As-You-Go (QAYG) is that it isn't that much easier than quilting a similar sized quilt in the traditional way on a home sewing machine. And in some places, it is harder. My Janome didn't like stitching the back sashing, and I didn't like the way the front sashing looked when I had to hold it in one place and stitch up to it and then move my hand to the next holding place. There has to be a better way to get nice, straight sashing strips.

And the back:


Linking to:
Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday at Musings of a Menopausal Melon
Peacock Party at Wendy's Quilts and More
Beauties Pageant at From Bolt to Beauty - later
Off the Wall Friday at Creations - Quilts, Art, Whatever - later
Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts - later
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
UFO Busting at Tish's Adventures in Wonderland
Show and Tell Monday at Bambisyr med sin QuiltglÀdje! (I would insert the English translation but I'm pretty sure Google has it wrong
What I Made Monday at Pretty Piney
Show Me Something Rainbow at Sarah Goer Quilts

8 comments:

  1. The rainbow snowballs are so pretty! I've never tried QAYG before. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks great. I love the backing fabric and how it's pieced reminds me of delicious apple pie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does look great! I've done QAYG just once and didn't enjoy it that much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it looks great!~ I have never tried the QAYG before. This quilt will surely make someone very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let the photo be a lesson to you, Marti. The completed quilt looks lovely!! Your "flowers" are perfect in their rainbow scrappy goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on a beautiful finish! Love those bright colors. You've done well this year to get back into the stitching groove.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your first finish of the year! Such lovely, vibrant color. I've never tried QAYG, but I imagine I'd be frustrated with the stage of putting the blocks together.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.