Tuesday, January 26, 2021

To Do Tuesday # 77

After seven gray and drizzly days, the sun came out today and we had to turn on the air conditioner! Like they say in Texas, and probably every state in the union, if you don't like the weather, wait a minute. I wanted to work in the garden, but it's a muddy mess out there, so I continued to sew.

Last week's goals are done!
    Make 28 half string blocks and 7 string squares
    Buy enough muslin to finish blocks
(I found another yard in my stash, so didn't have to buy any muslin. Yay!)
    Quilt 7 square blocks and 7 pinwheel blocks
    Make 4 lap bibs (1 Xmas)
At the bottom of this post is one of the bibs I made in 2018 for my mother-in-law when she was in a nursing home. She used it in the dining hall once and then decided she would rather eat in her room than with "those crazy people." LOL. She didn't care if she dropped food on her clothes if she never left her room. After she passed, I put the bibs in the car so I could use them if I ever ate in the car. Little did I know that Covid would end our dining in restaurants and any meal eaten out would be eaten in the car. And then I found out that these scarves don't work well when not eating at a table. Car seats lean back more and these didn't cover the lap at all.

We also discovered that restaurants don't give out knives, even when asked for one, and it is really hard to cut meat with a plastic fork. So what I needed was a bib that didn't look like a bib, covered my lap as well as the front of my shirt, could be used as napkin but also keep liquids from soaking through, could hold silverware, would fit in the glove compartment, and stay folded and compact so it wasn't in the way. This is what I came up with this week. I used quilting cotton on the front and homespun on the back. The homespun is softer and more absorbant than the quilting cotton. It works, but I'd like to make it cover the lap a bit more.


Now Goals for January 26, 2021

  • Make six more scarf bibs
  • Finish quilting Jacob's Ladder
  • Rip out the stitching from one pinwheel block so I can reuse the backing
  • Quilt the string block on the new square in a square block
That doesn't seem like much but if I get more done, I'll consider it a bonus.

To Do Tuesday at Home Sewn By Us



7 comments:

  1. You have been a very busy and have got a lot accomplished . Great job. I love the idea of the scarf bibs. I have never thought of that and would be wonderful to take along. Your blog is so lovely and I enjoy reading your goals for the week. Happy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marti! I am home due to a snowstorm today so it's hard for me to fathom needing the A/C already! My niece used to live in Arlington, TX and we went to visit her in May once. We had NO IDEA that jeans were not a good idea after May 1st. We went to a street fair and boiled and baked. HAHA! Great job on your list this week. Your scarf bib had a lot of criteria to meet and you did so swimmingly. Thanks for linking up today. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. The scarf bib is a great idea! We’ve been using regular place mats on our laps. Doesn’t keep the catsup off my shirt though! 😄. I keep a large zip lock bag with the mats, tableware and extra napkins and condiments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your scarf bibs are a great idea! They are stylish and functional all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea, your new scarf bibs model are functional!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your scarf bibs! You've been really productive! Have a safe and happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I envy that you got so warm, it warmed up here a bit, but the wind was so nasty it didn't feel very warm. The bibs for the car are a great idea! I'm looking to warmer weather so we can get take out when we go to Tulsa and then eat it in the park. Good luck with this week's list.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.