Sunday, March 28, 2021

Sunday Sewing Week 13

After the week of freezing weather we had in February, I was sure we would lose our fruit trees and bushes. But spring has blown in this month on 30 mph winds and lo and behold, the peach and apple trees have blossoms and tiny little leaves. The pecan tree, an electric company bare root and almost dead on arrival freebie, struggled last year and shows no signs of life this year. The blueberry bush has leaves and so does the lavender. Best of all, the hummingbirds are back.

I made an appointment with an eye surgeon who specializes in strabismus surgery (moving the muscles of the eyes). This is the last option to correct the double vision and diplopia in each eye. I've been trying to finish as many quilts as I can before I do the surgery, just in case the results are as bad as the decompression surgeries and I have even less vision afterward. I finished the binding on Gairden Walk Friday night, but haven't gotten a picture of it yet.

Friday afternoon, I begged for an afternoon out of the house (I called it my prison) and Hubby took me to Walmart. I ran out of thread Thursday and needed him to match the color for me. Then he thought it would be a good confidence builder for me to shop alone and he went to the car to get some work done. An hour later, he came in and asked what was taking me so long. I told him I had to ask people to read labels for me and I ran into a couple of people. He brightened and said, "Good, you got to talk to some friends!" and I said, "No, I misjudged the distance between the buggy and people in the aisle and I. ran. into. them." "Oh," he says, "that's not good." "No, that's not good." But it was a conversation starter.

So back home with my thread, and a nifty new seam ripper with lighted magnifying glass, I resumed quilting Night Sky. On the recommendation of an older quilting friend, I used a blanket for batting. That was a big mistake. It's true that it doesn't stretch like Warm and Natural, but it is heavy and cumbersome. Both shoulders hurt from dragging that bulk through the opening in my sewing machine. I can't wait to finish this and move onto something fun.

So here are my sewing reports. I made a new backing for Night Stars so got to use a bit of fabric, so that was good for the Stash report. It's been so windy this week that I haven't ventured out of the house (except for the Walmart trip) and that was good for the daily stitching.


Linking to:
Stitching Time at Life in Pieces
Sunday Stash at QuiltPaintCreate

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your eye appt. Vision is so important to most of us. Mmmmm fresh blueberries...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad most of your plants survived the deep freeze of February. Fingers crossed this doctor can help you more than the last one did. We went hiking last weekend as my, let's get out of the house expedition. After a year of not going anyplace, even I'm getting itchy feet. Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.