Monday, January 1, 2018

Getting a Fast Start in the New Year

The sun is out today, after what seems like a week of misty, gray skies. Yesterday was cold, gray, and windy. Today is just cold and windy, but it seems so much better. Happy New Year sun!

Yesterday, I was going to iron the backing fabric for Cars, but I had been sorting my scraps by color and didn't have another place to put them. So I shelved the ironing plan, or rather, I wanted to shelve it, but I have run out of shelves! Instead, I put together a hutch I found on craigslist a couple of years ago. I had painted it black to match my dining room table, but when we put our house on the market, I took it apart and put it in storage to make the house look uncluttered. After putting it back together, I realized how much my eyes have gone downhill. I have been having trouble seeing dark things against dark backgrounds, but I couldn't even tell where the outside frame ended and the open inside area began. This wasn't going to work at all.

By evening, I had decided to strip the paint inside the hutch to make that part lighter. The temperature in the attic was a balmy 44 degrees and dropping, and I wasn't sure Citristrip would work in that temperature. I usually do my stripping in summer and have to worry about it drying out, not freezing. lol But I brushed it on and went back to the trailer to eat dinner. Afterward, I ran a wide blade across it and the paint peeled off like skimming froth off the top of a boiling pot. It was amazing. Today, I'll sand and stain, and I should be able to use it in a few days.

In the meantime, I need to find a place to put my sorted scraps, and get Cars sandwiched. Today, the top is in the flimsy state. Finishing Cars is my January Goal at One Monthly Goal. I've already decided that the UFO challenge at American Patchwork & Quilting won't work for me. I've already lost it on my facebook feed among the random crap that people post.



If I can get the backing made today and pinned tomorrow, I think I can set up a sewing table in the trailer where it is warm. If that doesn't work, I'll have to wait until it is warmer in the attic. Hubby is drilling through studs for wiring today, so it is too dusty downstairs to do anything. His January goal is to finish the bathrooms in the house. I will admit, taking a shower without running out of hot water sounds pretty good.

In 2014, scraphappy at soscrappy posted a tutorial for making a Twinkle Star block. I made a couple and then put them aside, and then forgot about them. I found one the other day and after watching Kate at Life in Pieces make her Twinkle Stars quilt, I've decided to make that my block for this year's Rainbow Scrap Challenge. This month's color is blue. I also hope this will make a good leaders and enders project.

Linking to:
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Main Crush Monday at Cooking up Quilts
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts

7 comments:

  1. ° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
    ˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
    ˚ ˛ •˛• ˚| 田田 |門| ˚Happy New Year
    * Joy to all! ♫•*¨* Peace on Earth ♪♫•*¨*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marti: What a sweet quilt, the streets and a palce to park a car, any little boy would enjoy this quilt for fun and warmth.

    Happy New Year
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. The car quilt is going to be a hit as it the star quilt, love that pattern!! Good luck with the cabinet,hope it goes smoothly and maybe warms up a bit while you're working on it. I am going to check out the one monthly goal bit, I really need to catch up on some of my unfinished projects!!! Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to see how the cars quilt is shaping up. It's going to be much loved! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great quilt! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck on your project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you were able to cobble together some space to sew. Sounds like you've still got a lot of construction going on at the house. Looking forward to seeing your Twinkle Star quilt to come together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That came out great. You sure have been busy. We had -21F last night so that 44 does sound balmy. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.