Monday, February 17, 2020

Design Wall Monday and To Do List Tuesday, Week 8


This week, my Design Wall is also one of my ToDo projects. I wanted to buy thin polyester batting for the design wall boards because I thought fabric would stick to it better, but I ended up with cotton. If it doesn't work on the design wall, at least I can use it in quilts. I covered two more foam panels and put them beside the flannel ones and so far, I am very pleased with them. Even a heavier quilted block stays on them.

I did not talk Hubby into finishing the sheetrock on this wall, so I worked with what I had. Luckily, the tallest part of the wall is done and that is where I wanted to hang my quilt rod anyway. When the sheetrock is completed, I'll be able to add a few more design wall panels. I thought of using 4x8 sheets of foam insulation, but I decided to use the 13.5"x48" panels instead for a couple of reasons. For one thing, they are easier to handle, which is important for me since I'll be moving them from time to time. And I like that they are white on both sides so I don't have to worry about any printed words showing through.

I thought I'd have to attach some brackets on the wall to hold the panels in place, but I found that I could hammer six finish nails into the wall, leaving them sticking out of the wall about 1/2 inch, and just press the panels onto them and they didn't move. In the picture, the boards with batting look like they are thicker than the ones with flannel, but that is an illusion created by the brighter white.



On the design wall, I have my first trial quilt-as-you-go blocks. I want to try the Karen Charles method but she never shows how she does a bigger quilt. She mentions building around it and other quilters have said they start in the center and move outward. Still other quilters quilt the center row, and then build outward with rows. I have actually made two sets of trial blocks. The one on the board now is sewn into groups so they can be added around the center.


Instead of making identical blocks for the back, I decided to use plain white. I don't have time for even simple pieced blocks and I don't care for the fabric in this quilt, so I don't really care what the back looks like. I've quilted the center block and ready to start adding to it.

That takes care of the design wall. Now for my ToDo list, which has grown a lot because of these trial quilts. And I still haven't completed all the blocks for the Ameliorate Sampler either.

Here's how last week's list turned out.

x1. Finish the sweater makeover. I worked on it one day, but the design wall has taken priority this week, so I put the sweater on the back burner. I'm not even going to try to work on it this week.

2. Put borders on Sampler blocks. I did go to the quilt store for more border fabric, and still have one block to be finished.

3. Think of a name. I'm going to call this Celebrate Freedom. Seems pretty obvious. lol

4. Buy design board batting.


This week, my ultimate goal is to finish Ameliorate Sampler, so I am only going to list two goals.

1. Get Celebrate Freedom to the flimsy (or fluffy) stage.
2. Make two rows of blocks for the next trial quilt.

I am linking up here:
AND
To Do Tuesday at Home Sewn by Us

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marti! Your design wall looks great. I think the skinny panels are just fabulous for moving about and they look like a nice size to me. I've never tried quilt-as-you-go on any project yet, but yours is sure turning out nice. Here's to a productive week and thank you for linking up. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your modular design wall. Celebrate Freedom is looking good too. You've gotten a lot moving in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.