Monday, February 5, 2018

Overwhelming

Yesterday, while looking for those elusive Machingers quilting gloves, I unpacked a box of notions and a few bags of blocks. I am out of space to put any more notions and I don't even know what some of these things are. Most of the stuff in this box came from my mother when she decided to quit sewing, and she has long since forgotten what they are.  They may not even be for sewing; she also did needlepoint and crochet.  Any idea what these are for?


A couple of people said in the comments that they thought they might really be hair clips, but they are too thick and the teeth are only at the tip of the clip. So I'm sure that's not what they are. I had called mom before making this post and asked if she remembered them, and she was blank. She couldn't even remember having them. I'm like that these days myself. I pulled a cast iron griddle out of a box one day. I had completely forgotten I had it and had bought another one recently. So now I have two.

They might be some kind of quilt clips, but a google search didn't find any quilt clips like them. They are black plastic, with markings of 1", 2", and 3" and squeeze open like a hair clip. Inside the clip are rows of teeth, about an inch or so long at the tip.  In the same bag was the little screwdriver.  It may not have anything to do with the clips though.

Also in the box were embroidery hoops, four pairs of scissors, bobbins, thread, pins, needles, and earrings.  Earrings?  Yes, really tacky clip on earrings.  Wonder where they came from and why I felt the need to keep them - questions that will probably never have an answer.

7 comments:

  1. I haven't a clue. I don't have a crafty bone in my body. I hope someone can help you with this.

    Have a fabulous day, Marti. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry no help here either on what those are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with hair clips ... sometimes I like to keep old items - they come in handy for Halloween costumes!

    Thanks for visiting my blog recently - to answer your question, our new log home will be our permanent home. So excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm at a loss as well. Personally, unless it had sentimental value, I would send it to DAV. I kept too much stuff like that for too long. When the house burned down That stuff was not missed. sorta put things in perspective. missed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't even imagine what those clips are used to do! I've never seen anything like them, and I've been quilting 50 years plus. =) (I was born quilting - LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marti,

    I'm totally clueless on what these are but they certainly do look like hair clips. You said you found some earrings in the mix. Maybe these things don't belong with the quilting paraphernalia after all. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.