Sunday, February 4, 2018

Weekly Reports for the Fifth Week of 2018

As I mentioned yesterday, I have been making string blocks with leaders and enders. I thought I'd make them half square and make pinwheels. I love pinwheels. Only doing half the block in strings makes the block go fast, which is good for making a lot of blocks, but it is also a little more work too. Once I get them put in pinwheels, I'm going to do the quilt as you go method on them. I haven't picked a sash color yet, but I'm thinking red or blue.


I looked at the picture and thought "Oh no, I cut some too small!" Then it dawned on me that I joined the four on the left yesterday. Maybe I need a nap already.

I had a great week in the sewing room this week. For the first time in a long time, I feel like I really got some things accomplished. Maybe it was the sinus infection and not feeling like I should leave the house for days, or maybe I'm finally getting a little organized. In any case, I sewed every day, worked on my cabinet one day, and found a box of scraps so I could start making leader and ender string blocks again. I think I like making string blocks as leaders and enders because they don't require any thought and I can keep my attention on the piecing of the main project.

I know this chart looks odd, but I wanted to keep January and February separate. I ended January with 25 out of 31 days spent sewing. That's an 81% average, so not too bad. So far in February, mind you it's only 3 days, I'm at 100%.


I also finally have some usage to report on the stash, although since I found a box of fabric, my overall number has gone up. But the main thing is that I didn't buy any new fabric. I managed to finish the wallhanging with fabric already bought.

Although the chart below doesn't show this specifically, I have bought 3-1/2 yards in 2018, and used 2-1/2 yards.  One more yard used and I will have my stash showing no real gain, although I am adding stash numbers as I unpack fabric.  After I am unpacked, I may go back and change my reports from the beginning to show actual gain just from purchases.



I mentioned that I also worked on my cabinet. I finished putting in shelves last night and couldn't wait to put fabric in it. I was pleased that all my quilting cotton (except for planned projects) fit in it. Now my other bookshelf can be used for flannels, batting, and projects. It really is beginning to come together.

I hope you have had a good sewing week too, and if not, best wishes for the week ahead. Check the links below to see how other quilters are doing, and join in if you can.

Linking to:
15 Minutes to Stitch at Life in Pieces
Sunday Stash at QuiltPaintCreate
Oh Scrap! at Quilting is more fun than housework

10 comments:

  1. You're doing well this year. I always chuckle when you post that you found more fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You found a box of scrapes. Good for you.

    I'm also glad you're feeling better.

    Have a fabulous day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pinwheel blocks look great. What a wonderful way to use those scrappy strings. Thanks for sharing with Oh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. String blocks are good "mindless sewing" and I'm sure the half-string blocks would be WAY faster!! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven’t quilted in over two years and I miss it like crazy. After I retire!

    readerbuzz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you are feeling lots better. Sinus infections are no fun. I like your half string blocks. Mindless stitching is just so relaxing. It's good to hear that your sewing room stuff is coming together so much better now. Congrats on the stash usage and on finding time to stitch every day in February.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your idea of using string blocks as leaders/enders. I haven’t done leaders/enders for that very reason that my attention would be divided between the two projects. This I might be able to do. Your pinwheel blocks look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I started back to sewing I decided to NOT go back and count my stash on hand. I really just started with the fabric I was bringing in new. I don't even want to try and measure all that fabric! Love those pinwheels, especially the pop of yellow in them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those 1/2 scrappy pinwheels. What a great idea to use up those scraps. May just have to steal that one in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your forms for the 15 minutes of sewing and the stash report. Those are helpful!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.