Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Double Irish Chain

Began 2016, Finished 2018




I thought I'd be writing this post at midnight, but I finished about 3:00 today. At least I finished as much as I'm going to. Since this is a practice quilt, I decided to leave some space to practice before the next quilt. The hardest thing today was finding a spot with enough light to take a picture. It's yet another day of gray skies and rain. I finally draped it over my stash cabinet near a window.


The front is made of one inch blocks (well, 1-1/2 inch with the seam allowance) and the back is a fabric I've had since 1990. I've used bits of it in several quilts and still have some left. I'll be seeing it in many quilts yet to come I think. So my February One Monthly Goal and UFO is now in the books. It is also the first goal on my list of First Quarter FAL quilts. On to March!

This was a leaders and enders project made mostly with scraps.

Linking to:
 I May Have a Scrap Problem at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday at What a Hoot!
Finished or Not Friday at Busy Hands Quilts
UFO Busting at Tish's Adventures in Wonderland
Show Off Saturday at Sew Can She
First Quarter FAL Finishes at Sew of Course

21 comments:

  1. It's beautiful. I love it. You are so talented.

    Have a fabulous day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on getting the quilting done. Hopefully you still have full use of your arms after that marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful quilt....I can never find enough light to take a photo in my house without it turning yellowish:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. If this is the practice quilt .... sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. If you looked closely, you'd see that few of the seams line up, and if you looked at the quilting on the back, you'd agree. I need a lot more practice.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on meeting your goal! Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks wonderful and your quilting really sets it off. Its only practise that helps us improve, but you are doing beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my I recognize that backing fabric!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my fav blocks! I love the scrap look of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a pretty quilt for practicing - and a fantastic idea. It's functionally finished and serving as a nice curtain over the stash, but has spaces you can work on new fillers anytime you want to get one into your system before using it on a new quilt. I really, really love this concept. Thanks for sharing at TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your quilt!!! I have done something similar with 2" squares ... it's a fun way to use up "everything but the kitchen sink." I admire you for using 1 1/2" squares!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I regretted those small squares many times while making it. If I make another, they will be at least 2" squares.

      Delete
  11. Great finish!! I love Irish chain quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The quilting looks lovely. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1 inch? It is stunning and am incredible finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was a fun leaders and enders, but I won't be making any 1 inch squares again. lol

      Delete
  14. This is a beautiful finish! I love that you left yourself space to go back and practice later on. That is a really good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on a beautifully finished “practice” piece! It’s fabulous! On behalf of the 2018 FAL hosts, thank you for finishing up along with us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The squares are tiny, but it is so beautiful. Probably something to do once, and not again. That's how I feel about my Promised Land quilt - which only has almost enough 4-patches and nothing else yet. Never too late to turn it into something else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a leaders and enders project so I never really noticed I was doing it until I started putting rows together. Actually, I would like to make another one some day. It is a great leaders and enders project.

      Delete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.