Monday, March 9, 2020

Celebrate Freedom





This is a practice quilt using the Karen Charles method of quilt-as-you-go. I found it quite cumbersome to add the rows using this method, which may be why I put the third row on upside down the first time and didn't notice it until AFTER I quilted it. On my design wall, it was the bottom row but when I put it on the bottom, it was upside down. So I ripped it off, flipped it around, and put it on the top. And then it was not only upside down, but I had two rows of sashing strips next to each other.

I thought about throwing it away, or just using it unfinished as a cat bed. But after I had a few days to think about it, I decided I would cut it apart so I didn't have to rip out all the seams, and make something else. When I actually examined it again, and I hadn't quilted it this time, it looked like ripping off just that row and putting it on right would be the easiest fix. In doing that, I discovered why the row was upside down both times I sewed it on - I had put the sashing on the top of the row instead of the bottom. Once I removed the sashing and put it on the bottom where it should have been, the row went on easily.

Originally, I had made enough blocks for a fourth row, but after all this, I decided not to push my luck with a fourth row. Since I had already trimmed the edges after the second attempt to put the row on correctly, I didn't have enough backing fabric to put the row on using Karen Charles' method. So I made a strip of bias tape out of leftover fabric, sizing it so that stitching it down made the front stitching a quarter inch inside the block. So that might be the best way yet of doing quilt-as-you-go, as long as that is where I want stitching on the front.

This was the quilt I chose at the first of the month for my OMG (One Monthly Goal), and all I can say about it now is that I am so glad it is finished and I achieved my goal.

I am linking this to:


5 comments:

  1. Persistence! You really have it! I think I would have given up! I love how it turned it out. Congrats on the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the beautiful finish. You worked so hard for this! I'm so proud of you for not giving up. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate when I have to take things apart and redo them - I just removed borders from a quilt and added different ones. Kudos to you for hanging in there and finishing your quilt! Thanks for sharing your project on Main Crush Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, at least you can say you tried it, and don't need to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.