Saturday, May 19, 2018

This Week is Scrapped

And not in a good way either.

Hubby left early Wednesday morning and I had grand plans for MY vacation the rest of the week. I was going to pull the booth out of the trailer so I could replace the carpet, I was going to catch up on the RSC (Rainbow Scrap Challenge) blocks, I was going to finish all the blocks for my trailer summer quilt, and I was going to eat what I wanted when I wanted it. The only thing on that list that actually happened was eating what I wanted when I wanted it.

Wednesday, before I even got home from the airport, my mother-in-law wanted me to take her to the emergency room. I had taken her to the doctor the previous week and nothing was wrong with her, but she didn't think the doctor knew what he was talking about so she wanted to go the ER. Instead of going home, I picked her up and took her to the ER. Once again, nothing wrong with her that a good laxative wouldn't cure. I left her apartment at 7:00, grabbed something to eat and thought I might make it home in time to mow by the road, but there wasn't enough daylight left, so I did a load of laundry, read a book, and went to bed.

Thursday morning, I mowed next to the road and by the creek - an area I call the poison ivy patch. I've never gotten a poison ivy rash and think I might be immune to it, but I don't chance it. I take a shower with Dawn as soon as I finish mowing to wash off any poison ivy oil. But when I started to take a shower, I had no hot water. In fact, I had no water at all from the hot water tap. The cold water tap was fine. Very perplexing. Long story short, a plumber came and went with no success, I bought a check valve to replace it myself and couldn't get the old one off, and I have taken cold showers this week. Some vacation. Every time Hubby goes somewhere for more than a day or two, something major breaks, usually an appliance. I think they come alive at night and conspire against me. Next time Hubby goes on a trip, I'm going somewhere too.

I started this post because I wanted a written record of my snowball quilt plan. Those are the blocks I am making for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. I worked on them Tuesday before my week started going downhill and I really couldn't remember my plan so spent some time deciphering my written notes.


Angela of soscrappy names a color every month for ten months and participants make a block or blocks using that color fabrics from their scraps. I need twenty-five blocks to make five rows of five blocks which doesn't work perfectly with a ten month plan. I decided to make three blocks for seven months and two blocks for two months. I skipped April because that month's color was yellow and it didn't look great with my yellow centers and I made March a two block month because I am really short on green scraps.

May's color is pink. My goal was to have all three pink blocks done by the end of this week, but I only have one petal for one flower finished. Maybe I can work on it tomorrow while Hubby replaces the check valve. I try to stay as far from him as possible when he is doing plumbing, in fact, I usually leave home. But maybe the sewing space is far enough for this project, unless it goes south.

See what others have made with their scraps this week. I am linking to:
Scraphappy Saturday at soscrappy

12 comments:

  1. it sounds like a poor plumber if he could not fix the problem - weird - they usually can figure things out. Sounds like you had a bad week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have the same problem if both my Husband and I are gone at the same time. One year, we left for 4 days and the car transmission, the garage door and the heating/AC system all died....just 4 days! lol. I am glad you did not get poison ivy on top of it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I didn't get poison ivy too! Yours proves the old saying that bad things happen in threes. Hubby gets his share of trouble when I'm gone too. He once walked in the back door right before leaving to pick me up at the airport and found water spewing out from under the kitchen sink.

      Delete
  3. As they say Marti: "It never rains, but it pours!" Just be glad you didn't loose the hot water in the middle of winter! The thought makes me shudder! I hope your husband was able to fix it, and you got your sewing done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stuff like that seems to go wrong when my hubby leaves, too. Not that he's very adept at fixing the things, but repair guys tend to respond better to men...in my experience... I made it the last round without incident, but I've gotten my car stuck in my own driveway in one vacation from the hubby! The blocks look great and sound like a very good choice to work on while plumbing is happening!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry your week didn't go as planned and I hate cold showers. I've taken them, but I hate them.

    I love the quilt. I love pink and purple.

    Have a fabulous day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird because I can swim in a cold lake, but I hate cold showers.

      Delete
  6. SEW much for your "vacation!" Sorry to hear that you ended up with very little sewing time. :o((

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm reading backwards catching up and NOW it makes sense why you went to pick up your beloved plumber! (LOL, welcome home honey, this happened while you were away....). Hope he gets it all fixed. Cold showers are so not good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Despite your not nice week, you made beautiful blocks! Cute beginning of a pink flower!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that sounds like a miserable week! Hopefully Your Guy got the check valve off and you now have hot water. I like your new snowball project. Hope you finally got to the pink blocks this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. Next time he leaves for more than a day or two, I'm going to take a little trip too.

      Delete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.