Monday, December 3, 2018

December OMG



Last January, I decided that my December OMG (that's One Monthly Goal) was going to be Summer Crossroads, started in 2016. What I didn't realize in January was that our already crowded upstairs would become even more crowded when we moved all of my mother-in-law's belongings up there too. Now it's wall to wall boxes, bags, lamps, and other items to trip over. Finding Summer Crossroads, even neatly stacked in project boxes, is just not going to happen. Instead, I decided to work on the first project box I could reach. In that box was Gairden Walk and Depression Blocks. My goals for December are to finish making all the blocks for a queen size quilt for Depression Blocks and to finish piecing the border and making binding for Gairden Walk.

Yesterday afternoon, I finished the border for the backing of Gairden Walk and wish I had finished it when I originally made it.  I never found any more matching fabrics, and had to piece scraps to finish.  I'm also going to have to make the binding out of smaller pieces than I would like, but that seems to be what is left of this fabric.



On my design wall are the blocks I have made so far. I need 56 completed blocks and already have 22, so I think I can complete this goal even missing several sewing days over the holidays.

Linking to:
One Monthly Goal at Elm Street Quilts
Design Wall at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Monday Making at LoveLaughQuilt
Moving it Forward at Em's Scrapbag

12 comments:

  1. Oh my you have a lot going on! Your blocks are so pretty, and I love the backing you've made. I've had the same thing happen to me with wishing i had finished a project before I ran out of the fabric I intended to use on it.
    I just saw that you have a barndominium blog and have bookmarked it to read later. My husband and I moved to a rural area in 2016 and bought a mobile home, and since then we have wished we looked at barndominiums!
    Good luck on your goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Every time I work on a UFO, I wish I had finished it when I started it because I usually can't remember how or why I did the things I did to it.

      Delete
  2. Love this quilt. It is my type of quilt. I like to use lots of different fabrics. Kathleen Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. I know it's all in my head, but they just look warm and cuddly.

      Delete
  3. Good luck on this month's OMGs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It doesn't sound like a lot, but there will be a lot of Christmas projects other than this too.

      Delete
  4. lovely! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm hoping to finally post in your finished linky again.

      Delete
  5. What is Susie's magic binding?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's binding using two strips. When it's folded over the edge of the quilt, it looks like it has piping. And it's super easy to machine stitch onto the quilt. Here's a link to her tutorial. http://www.52quilts.com/2012/05/tuesday-tutorial-susies-magic-binding.html

      Delete
  6. Good job on your mitered corners!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. But I must admit, they don't look as good in person, especially that last one. That will teach me not to leave another top unfinished.

      Delete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.