Sunday, December 9, 2018

Sunday Reports

I thought I did pretty good this week, great in fact, until I looked at my numbers. Then, I wondered what I did all week when I thought I was making progress.

I'll start with my goals this week.
Finish the backing for Gairden Walk (It didn't take long.)
Make binding for Gairden Walk
Make at least 10 blocks for Depression Blocks (I made 11 but thought I'd make much more.)
Rip seams on varigated EPP stars
Cut fabric for scrappy EPP stars
Cut fabric for white EPP stars
Cut strips for blue and green fabric basket (I should have specified a number. I only cut two.)


I also did some EPP, but still, looking at the accumulated stitching, it doesn't seem like I did much. I think I spent more time looking for scraps that would work in the Depression Block quilt than I actually did cutting, pressing, and stitching. I'm also running out of room on my design wall and I need to make three more rows. I don't want to start stitching the rows together because I'm afraid the newer blocks will stand out too much. I'd rather spread them out among the other blocks which were all made from the same group of fabrics and I have very few of those fabric scraps now.



Susan asked what size squares I started with. I answered her comment, but I'm going to put it here too in case anyone else wants to know.

I had a question (after I finished all the blocks) asking what size I made these blocks. I started with 4-1/4 inch squares and made the quick 1/2 square blocks.

But after I made a few, I noticed there was too much of a color pattern, so I just started cutting the fabric into triangles that were 4-1/4 inch on the short sides. Then I could mix the colors better and avoid having the same colors touching. I wish I had made the original triangles 4-1/2 inch though. By the time I finished the blocks, some of the fabrics had frayed and in some there was no way to cut off the frayed edge when I squared the block. After squaring each half square block, they were 3-1/2 inches, which became 3 inch when sewn into the block. The finished block contained sixteen half square blocks and made a twelve inch block.

My goals for the coming week:
1. Make at least 10 blocks for Depression Blocks quilt.
2. Finish piecing Black and White Starburst.
3. Cut fabric for scrappy EPP stars.
4. Cut fabric for white EPP stars.
5. Make two rows of Puppy and Rabbit wallhanging.
6. Cut 14 strips for blue and green fabric basket.

On the good side, I sewed 7 out of 7 days this week, which puts my weekly and monthly percentages at 100%, but only raised my yearly percentage from 41% to 42%. Big whoop.

Another yawner is my stash report. I haven't added anything to my stash, but I haven't used anything either. Using scraps doesn't do much for stash busting. With any luck, I'll finish the Black and White Starburst and use a tiny bit of fabric for the backing and binding.

That's it for me this week. Nothing notable, at least nothing that has to do with sewing. I've been cleaning my mother-in-law's apartment and would have spent the weekend cleaning there if it hadn't been raining. I don't think she ever cleaned her windows and I wonder if we have to do that to get her deposit back. The inside isn't difficult, but there are roses in front of all the windows which would make it difficult, not to mention the mud. It's been too long since we rented anything with deposit; I can't remember the requirements. We rented a duplex from a friend in 2016-2017, but the windows there were so dirty, I had to clean them in order to see outside. I didn't bother to clean them again when we moved out a few months later.

I'm linking to the usual parties, or I will tomorrow after they are posted:
If you want to see more linky parties, or click on the button for their blog, look near the bottom on my right sidebar.
15 Minute Challenge at Life in Pieces
Oh Scrap! at Quilting is More Fun than Housework
Sunday Stash at QuiltPaintCreate

15 comments:

  1. I think you did really well. Be kind to yourself and enjoy life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a lot done from my list, but in hindsight, the list didn't really have much on it. It just sounded like a lot at first.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I do too. They look so comforting. Other than the first quilt I made, I have never made a quilt for my own bed, so this one is for me. My goal next year is to finish as many tops as I can before I start any new machine quilts, but the next new one I start will be another Depression Block.

      Delete
  3. For this time of year, I think you finished up a lot! I love how your depression block quilt is turning out. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is that time of year when most people are hustling and bustling, but I haven't given Christmas much thought yet.

      Delete
  4. It is hard to move averages this late in the year, but it gives you momentum for the new year which will be a fresh start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, and is exactly why I wanted to get back into the swing of it before the start of the new year.

      Delete
  5. You did a lot, it sounds like to me. I count my scraps, sort of, by figuring out how much fabric the blocks contain - just roughly estimate, for instance 1/4 yd. if I have five 9" blocks. Scraps are fabric, and they are part of my stash! I really like your depression block quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And look at that. Blogger is letting me comment again! At least for today.

      Delete
    2. I know a lot of people don't count the fabric used until the quilt is finished. I count it when I cut it, and figure my scraps as already counted as used. It would make my brain hurt to try to figure out how much fabric was actually in a quilt. It's easier (and lazier) of me to measure what goes back into my stash and count the rest as used. lol

      Delete
  6. You checked a lot things off your list last week. Your Depression Block quilt is looking great, it's scrappy without looking scrappy. Congrats on finding time to stitch this week in between the apartment cleaning. Hopefully you'll have that done soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday, the last of the furniture was taken out, and today we finished cleaning everything except a final vacuum. I'll do that tomorrow and then DONE! All that, and we may lose her deposit anyway.

      Delete
  7. I've come all the way back farther than this post and I can't find an answer, so I'm just going to ask, what size squares did you start with to make the HST?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll go back and stick that into the first Depression Block post. I started with 4-1/4" squares and made the quick 1/2 square blocks. I wish I had made them with 4-1/2" squares though because some of them were a little frayed by the time I used them and no extra to cut off. But after awhile, I just cut some triangles that were 4-1/4 to 4-1/2 on the short sides so I could avoid having the same fabrics touch. The completed half square blocks are 3-1/2" which made a finished 3" square in each block.

      Delete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.