Friday, December 7, 2018

Finished a Backing for a Quilt.

Does that count as a finished flimsy? I think so.

I just saw that I've already posted about this.  I think my memory must be slipping along with my mother-in-law's.  I'm not ready to be her roomie though.  I hope.  So I'm sorry to bore you with this again, but the post is already written, so I'm going to leave it.

This is the top, finished several years ago. I called it Gairden Walk because the magazine said the idea for the pattern came from a Scottish garden.



I had finished the backing, all except one corner. My excuse at the time was that I would finish the corner when I put in the label, but the truth was that I ran out of fabric and needed time to find more. But I never did find more of the same fabrics and then I didn't know what to do, so I just stuck it in a box to finish "someday" when I could figure out how to make it work with the scraps I still had. Now that I'm trying to finish as much as I can so I don't leave boxes and boxes of unfinished quilt tops for my kids to deal with, I decided to finish this backing and move the project to the "send out" stage. So this week I pieced together some scraps to make more piano keys for the border, finished the back, and made the binding.



Last week, I spent several days packing up mother-in-law's apartment, and Hubby and I moved all the boxes over here. Our attic space was already crammed with our stuff, leaving just enough room for me to have a cutting table and my sewing machine on one side, and Hubby's desk on the other side. But there are still boxes of her stuff that need to go up there, so my sewing space is about to get much smaller. I just hope I have enough room to work on bigger quilt tops. I am really ready to get the sheetrock done in the main house so we can start unpacking the attic.

Yesterday afternoon was spent cleaning her apartment so we can get her deposit back. I barely made a dent in it, but I did the hardest stuff first. We hope to sell the remaining furniture this weekend, so I can really clean next week. In the meantime, it's raining, and I want to start sewing on those Depression Blocks! The past few days, I've been practicing my blind stitching. Or should I call it unseeing sewing. I wish there was a tutorial on youtube, but if there is, I'm not using the right keywords to find it. My sense of feel is just not that sensitive, but I think it may be possible. I'll show you an example in a few days.

I posted my linky parties below, but for those of you who aren't really interested in linky parties, I want to tell you more about the post at Powered by Quilting. She has the cutest little binding babies. It looks like a wood thread spool with a head on top, but it has a slit through the middle of the spool to keep the binding from slipping when winding onto the spool. It looks like it comes in several sizes, and if it is a spool size, maybe it will fit on a thread rack. I can't tell. But in any case, Sherry wound her binding onto the spool to keep it safe and secure. Lately, I've been making a lot of binding for future use, so I think this is the neatest thing I've seen lately. I might have to dig out the binding I've made and stuffed into the box with flimsies and backings, and do it up right.

On a sad note, my local quilt shop is closing down. The owner wants to concentrate on long arm quilting so she is selling her fabrics and notions. There be no more quick runs to her store when I need the perfect fabric to complete a project. The closest place to buy fabric for me will be twenty miles away now. Rain permitting, I am going to go over there today to stock up on some threads and see if she has a couple of rulers I've been looking for. In the last year, our little town has lost a good cafe, the only feed store, and now the only quilt store, all of them truly needed.

Linking to:
Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts
Friday Foto Fun at Powered by Quilting
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Finished or Not Friday at Busy Hands Quilts
UFO Busting at Tish's Adventures in Wonderland

6 comments:

  1. Yikes, no fun when places are going out of business. Hopefully you'll be able to find a closer source for your quilty needs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not likely in our little town. There aren't many businesses left here. But you never know. Look what Missouri Quilt Co. did for their little town.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about the stores closing in your community. I think it is getting harder and harder to run stores these days. It's a very nice quilt you made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think it's getting harder for stores too, especially stores in small areas like ours where people can drive to a large city in less than an hour and buy fabric at Walmart or Hobby Lobby for half the price, or JoAnns with a coupon, even though it's also half the quality.

      Delete
  3. Woo Whoo for finishing that backing! You will have a finished quilt before you know it. I feel your pain about the closing of your local quilt shop :( Ours just closed two weeks ago and the closest one to me is now 20-30 minutes away as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. This one may be the first one on the frame after all my UFOs are finished. Sorry about your quilt shop too. 20-30 minutes doesn't sound too far except when I just need a spool of thread or just enough fabric to finish a quilt. Then, 30 minutes is a trip to town with a list of all the other things I've been needing from there, so it turns into several hours of running errands.

      Delete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with advertising links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.